Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggestions for green or veg--must stand up to travel & wa

Posted by liz_h (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 15:01

I'm hoping to avoid a casserole, in part because I know there will be plenty of rich food already. Now that I've typed this, I think a marinated vegetable salad might be perfect. I have a few recipes, but wouldn't mind more!

Also if you have any suggestions for a take along hot green vegetable that would still be good after an hour or two, I'd love to hear them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggestions for green or veg--must stand up to travel & wa

I make this haricot vert recipe often. It's great warm and fresh, room temp, or cold so I make it all year round. Even my kids love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green beans with walnuts and lemon vinaigrette

o

Thanks breezygirl, that looks good. I also found some in the green bean casserole thread.

o

I use a marinated veggie recipe from an Italian restaurant. It's easy and delish!

1 pound vegetables (carrots, zucchini, cauliflower, celery or vegetable of your choice)
4 small cloves of garlic, light crusted with a heavy knife and peeled.
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon oregano
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1-2 cups olive oil

Peel and cut vegetables into desired shapes and cook them in boiling salted water until tender but quite firm because the marinade will continue to soften them. (I steam the veggies, celery gets steamed for 2 min., and carrots and cauliflower are steamed for 3 min.)

Drain the vegetables and place in a deep storage dish with a securely sealed top.

Bury the garlic in the veggies. Add salt and pepper to taste, oregano, vinegar and olive oil to cover the bottom 1/4 of the veggies. Refrigerate, but occasionally shake container and rock back and forth to cover all veggies with light coating of oil. Allow to marinate at least overnight, removing the garlic after 24 hours. Serve at room temperature.

o

I can't remember when this marinated veggie dish wasn't part of our holiday dinners:

Mom's Broccoli/Cauliflower Salad

1 head each broccoli and cauliflower cut into bite size pieces.

Mix together:
1 cup oil
1/2 cup wine vinegar
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
2 cloves crushed or minced garlic
1 T sugar
1 T dill weed
2 tsp garlic salt

Pour this over the broccoli/cauliflower mixture and let sit for at least a few hours. I always marinate in a zip-style bag and then pour into a serving bowl.

I never have garlic salt, but I do have granulated garlic, so I just use less and add salt. Paul Prudhomme says that using fresh and also dehydrated garlic in a dish adds to the layers of flavor, and I think that's true in this dish.

This is really simple and delicious. I could eat it all day.

o

Check the 'any greenbean alternative?' post on this page...
I put the mixed veggie on that one instead of here...

o

The marinated veggies sound yummy! I'll look some more at the ...alternative post.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here