Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much salt to add to unsalted butter?

Posted by babka (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 17, 08 at 15:00

I'm making a cookie recipe that calls for a 3/4 stick of butter. It is an old recipe (before unsalted butter was readily available). I'd like to save a trip to the store and use what I have on hand, if possible.

Does anyone know how much salt I should add to make up for using unsalted butter?

Thanks,

-Babka

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much salt to add to unsalted butter?

what other ingredients are in it..
If it's chocolate, I'd go with atleast 1/2 t even 3/4 t..I standardly add 1 t to 1 c butter..even if it's salted in recipes using chocolate in any form.

o

Terry-

Thanks for the quick response. The recipe is for Pecan Crescents. 50 years ago it was on the Argo cornstarch box. So you think 3/4 tsp. salt will do the trick?

1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup flour
3/4 stick butter
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Sift, blend (knead with hands), chill and shape into little crescents. Bake at 300 degrees for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned. Dust with powdered sugar when cool.

-Babka

o

yeah...start with that then taste...you don't want it to taste salty..but you want the flavors to pop..I find salt helps that out immensely..
I use sea salt, and find that it's got a bit more power than iodine(table salt)..

hmmm I don't want to steer you wrong..but I always add the salt called for in cookie recipes, even though I use salted butter.
~I just found something online that said if you use salted butter in a recipe that calls for unsalted and has salt that you should reduce the salt addition by 1/4 t ea 1/2 c of butter. So maybe you should go with 1/2 t salt??
Personally I'd go with 3/4 t but I don't know your salty taste tolerance..probably best to err on the side of "little less"..
Good luck!!! sorry to confuse you more probably..LOL

o

The average for a cube of butter is 1/4 tsp. per 1/4 pound, though some brands are much saltier than that (as high as 3/4 tsp., which I find mind-boggling).

As Terri said, go by taste, though my inclination, especially for a delicate cooke, is to be conservative. You want the butter, sugar and pecan to predominate.

Carol

o

Good thing it's egg free--I'd taste it! That looks kinda good.

(OK, I'd taste it even with raw eggs...)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here