Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about roaster my ham?

Posted by bryansda (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 14:38

I'm doing my ham in my electric roaster. Do I need to put any kind of fluid in the roaster to help keep it moist?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about roaster my ham?

Do the same as you would in the oven, to my knowledge. Maybe Annie will see this and have a definite answer.

Merry Christmas!

Tami

o

Thanks Tami, but I haven't cooked a ham in years in the oven or the roaster. I did end up putting a little water in the bottom of the roaster. I thought it was better to add it than to have a dry ham.

Merry Christmas to you too.

o

Well, better late than never. It depends on the ham. A spiral sliced and fully cooked ham? Nope, I'd cook that gently until it was heated through, then serve.

A smoked but not pre-cooked ham? I'd put that on the rack and probably add a bit of liquid to the bottom, orange or pineapple juice or 7-Up if it were a glazed ham, water or coffee if it was not to be glazed.

I hope it came out well. Merry Christmas.

Annie

o

Annie said it well. Most any store-bought ham has water added anyway so there's lots of liquid in there. Even those marked "natural juices" are still water-injected. Beer is another good liquid for braising if you so choose to add, but if you're heating a ham rather than roasting it, you shouldn't have any problem. If it seems to be losing all the liquid in there, add a little moisture to steam and seal it up better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here