Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinaigrette Dressing???

Posted by seagrass (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 16, 11 at 14:19

I've been trying to make my own dressings for green salads. Some are too tart, some are too sweet. I'm not doing something right.

I want to take a large marinated antipasto salad to a holiday potluck - it calls for 2 cups of vinaigrette dressing. This has no lettuce - it has blanched veggies (carrots, broccoli, green beans), roasted peppers, mushrooms, other stuff...

Don't know where else to turn! Something with garlic and herbs, I think - Thank you.

seagrass

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinaigrette Dressing???

Here's what I use for a marinated veggie salad. And I find that a tablespoon of parmesan cheese mellows it a lot. You may want to double the recipe...it keeps well for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator and is good on a green salad too.
SALAD DRESSING
1T dijon mustard
1clove of garlic, crushed (or chopped very fine)
1T honey
1/3 cup cider vinegar and balsamic vinegar mixed�mostly cider....or rice vinegar
Mix together, I use a wire whisk
1/2 cup olive oil...whisk the oil in a slow stream, whisking all the while
Then I like to add some dried or fresh herbs....most of the time I use oregano.

o

Thank you Lindac - I was hoping to hear from you. I make your marinated green beans all of the time and love them.

How much dried oregano would you put in the proportions you posted??

seagrass

o

Depends on how herby you like it....I think if you are using a "good" oregano like Penzey's....half a teaspoon would be a gracious plenty...try less to begin with.
And basil works too....as does dill or a little thyme and a lot of parsley.
I love a marinated veggie salad....may do that for christmas....

o

Here's my recipe, which uses fresh herbs instead of dried. I do not recommend substituting dried herbs for fresh in this recipe, but you can omit them and still get good results.

Herb Vinaigrette Salad Dressing

Ingredients

3 tbsp Dijon mustard
6 medium cloves garlic or 3 if very large
1-2 shallots, depending on size (optional)
1/3 cup chopped fresh sweet basil
3 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme (stems removed)
1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar, aged eight years, the best you can find - should be sweet*
2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar, medium quality
2 tbsp white Balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1-2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, or to taste

Directions

Peel and coarsely chop garlic, and shallots, and put into blender with the mustard and herbs. Pulse a few times to chop the garlic and herbs, and add vinegars, salt, and pepper. Blend until all ingredients are very finely chopped or pureed. Add the olive oil a bit at a time and blend until smooth. If possible, pour the olive oil through a small hole in the top of the blender while blending. Adjust vinegars, salt, pepper, and oil to taste, remembering that the flavor will change after the garlic and herbs have had time to marinate in the vinegar and oil. If desired, add 2-3 tsp of water to make the dressing a bit thinner and easier to pour. Store in a jar in the refrigerator. Keeps for at least two weeks, although the herb flavors will diminish over time.

Yield: approx. 1-2/3 cups

*Note: if you do not have aged Balsamic vinegar that is sweet and syrupy, you can substitute 1/2 tbsp molasses for that ingredient. You can add more if you want it sweeter, but this combination has just the balance of sweet and tart that I like, which is why I use the combination of vinegars.

Lars

o

I would like Linda's marinated green beans recipe please.

Di

o

Thank you, Lars. The mix of vinegars is interesting and I understand why you do that. I just have not been able to find a perfect vinegar lol!! I will give that a test run.

Di - Here is the green bean recipe:

"make a dressing...
a clove of crushed garlic,
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
2 T finely chopped red onion
2 teaspoons mixed fresh herbs ( dill weed, oregano, rosemary, tarragon, thyme....pick 3)
Wash and stem and tail a pound of small fresh green beans . Bring about 1 1/2 qts water to a boil and dump in the beans. Leave for 3 minutes, drain and plunge the beans into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain.
Toss with the dressing and chill for 2 hours. Serve with a topping of sieved hard cooked egg and crumbled bacon.
Linda C"

I always include dill and I've never bothered with the egg or the bacon (sorry Linda C). They're delicious.

seagrass

o

Hmm....I think the bacon and egg are the best part...LOL!

o

LindaC - I PROMISE I'll add them the next time.

seagrass

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here