Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Substitute for heavy cream in scones

Posted by aka_peggy (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 07 at 13:44

Hi, I love making scones but I'd like to find a suitable substitute for the 2/3 C heavy cream in the recipe. Would plain yogurt work?

TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Substitute for heavy cream in scones

Won't be the same.
It's the fat in the cream that makes them so yummy.
Linda C

o

Yogurt's a decent substitute for buttermilk, but not for cream. You're better off looking for a recipe without cream or making something else.

o

I had good luck using evaporated skim milk... Not as rich as the cream but a lot less fat and cholesterol...

Rita

o

Well, it was just a thought. I'll use the heavy cream but I'll definitely give the skim evaporated milk a try next time. They're so darned good.

Thank you!

o

aka: If you try the evaporated milk , try throwing in
a few tablespoons of Coffee Mate. I can't tell you the
Ingredients, the label was totally Spanish.
I add this to a lot of Recipes.
LOU

o

If you add Coffee mate you are adding additional fat...but this fat is the worst kind, hydrogenated vegetable fat.
I would rather the cream than evaporated milk and Coffee Mate.
Linda C

o

aka peggy

What's your recipe?

o

It's from the Good Housekeeping cookbook, "Great American Classics." Here it is;

Blueberry Hill Scones

2 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 tbs. baking powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
4 tbs. cold margarine or butter, cut up
1 c. blueberries
2/3 c. heavy or whipping cream
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon peel

Preheat oven to 375F.
In large bowl, with fork, mix flour, brown sugar,
baking powder and salt.
With pastry blender or two knives
used scissor fashion, cut butter
into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add blueberries and toss to mix.

In small bowl, with fork, mix cream, egg,
and lemon peel until blended.
Slowly pour cream mixture into dry ingredients
and stir with rubber spatula just until a soft dough forms.
With lightly floured hand,
knead dough in bowl just until it comes together,
about 3-4 times; do not overmix.
Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface,
shape each half into a 6" round.
With floured knife, cut each round into 6 wedges.
Transfer wedges to ungreased large cookie sheet.
Bake scones 22-25 min., until golden brown.
Serve warm, or cool on wire rack to serve later.
Makes 12 scones.

o

Peggy

It seems to me that the heavy measure of cream in your recipe balances out the amount of fat in the recipe. To explain, I've seen recipes where the (fatty) liquid measure is smaller but the fat measure is larger. So in the end, yours may be less fat-laden than some other recipes. See the one below as an example -- I make them without a recipe (not very often), since the dough is so much like southern biscuits, but this recipe looks similar to what I do. I haven't used sour cream instead of cream as this one calls for. I may try it myself, just to check it out. The blueberry-lemon variation looks good! It serves 8.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Scones

o

It may not be the same, or as rich, or as yummy, as if made from cream, but using low-fat yogurt wouldn't make the outcome all that bad, would it? If you don't mind the lack of richness, then why not just try it and see?

o

Here's a recipe from Chocolate and Zucchini, which is an award-winning food blog (she's in France, thus the grams, not cups):

Yogurt Scones

- 215 g flour
- 30 g sugar
- 30 g butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (one envelope)
- 125 ml plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp milk
- a small handful of chopped nuts and/or dried fruits and/or a tsp of citrus zest... (optional)

(Yields 8 scones.)

Preheat the oven to 200C (400F). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar and baking powder. Add in the diced butter and blend it all together with a fork, until no visible lump of butter remains. Add the yogurt and milk, and keep working with the fork to mix it all together until the dough forms a ball. Try not to overmix the dough, otherwise the scones won't raise as much. Fold in the nuts or dried fruits or zest if using any.

Shape the dough into a circle about an inch thick, and cut into eight wedges (alternatively, divide the dough into eight balls). Place the wedges a few centimeters apart on the cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, until the scones have risen and turned lightly golden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yogurt Scones

o

Anney,

I looked at some other recipes for scones and I think you're right, my recipe is not as fatty as many. The recipe I used before the one above was from '"Vegetarian Epicure" and it calls for 1/2 C butter to 1 C buttermilk and only 2 tbsp sugar. They are very tasty as well.

Ideefixe, thanks for the yogurt scone recipe. They sound so simple I'll have to try them.

o

aka_peggy

One last post about this, and it may or may not be helpful. If it wouldn't affect the taste of your scones, you might substitute evaporated milk for the cream IF this Carnation blurb is true:

Since evaporated milk has more creaminess than regular milk, it makes a perfect lower-fat substitute for cream products. With less than 1/3 the fat of half-and-half and less than 1/2 the fat of coffee cream, light cream and heavy cream, it also has more than double the calcium and protein!

http://www.verybestbaking.com/products/carnation/nutrition.aspx

o

As much as I try to avoid cream, a scone is not a scone if it does not have cream in it. You might try substituting half of the cream with evaporated milk or just plain milk. I personally think evaporated milk tastes like a can, and I would probably substitute plain milk, but perhaps slightly less than the same volume.

A few years ago I used to make waffles using 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup cream. They were light and delicious, but now I'm trying not to use cream. Sometimes it is just necessary.

o

Yeah!!! Lars is posting!! And with good advice!
Trying to make low fat scones is rather like trying to make low fat butter cookies....or pecan pie...or low sugar fudge.
I'd rather have a lot less of the real thing than unlimited amounts of something not aas good.
Linda C

o

TIA:

Does COFFEE-MATE contain trans fat?
COFFEE-MATE Powder contains 0 trans fat. COFFEE-MATE Liquid flavors have been reformulated to contain less than 0.5g of trans fat per serving. Although the ingredient statement lists partially hydrogenated oil, the amount is trivial. Therefore, it can be listed as 0 (per FDA guidelines) on the nutritional statement. COFFEE-MATE Fat Free, Sugar Free and Original have not been reformulated as they already have a 0 trans fat content.
LOU

o
PS: Substitute for heavy cream in scones

No Comments ????????????????????????????????????
Happy New Year!!!
LOU

o

Lars : It is a shame you can't make good Waffles without Cream.
Here is a recipe for Waffles you will love.
Give them a try and let me know !!!

LOUS
Pancakes and Waffles Recipe
Light, Crispy but Tender.

2 cups milk ( Ive been using powdered milk)
2 eggs ( separated ) .
1/3 cup of veg. Oil
2 tablespoon of vanilla
Pinch of salt
cup Sugar

1 cup of Wheat Flour
4 teaspoons Baking Powder
All Purpose flour
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mix Pancake Batter:
Put the first 6 ingredients ( except egg whites ) in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
Put in the Wheat flour, Baking pwd. and some All Purpose flour.
Beat until smooth. Add enough flour to thicken slightly,
(were it leaves ripples while mixing ) not thin and loose.
Beat the egg whites with a teaspoon of sugar, until peaked.
Add the egg whites to the batter and fold in easy.
Beat the other of the whites until very stiff and fold these in also.
After the pancakes are cooked, I put plastic in between for freezing.

For Waffles:
Thicken a little more, to where you have to move it around with a spoon,
when it is put on the waffle iron . Then do the egg white thing as in the pancake batter.
When baked I cool them fast on a rack and put them in a plastic bag,
and right in the freezer.

If you overcook a little, dampen slightly with water,
before you put them in the toaster oven.

As for the waffle iron , I have a very old round one with adjustable heat Range.
You will have to adjust to your Waffle Baker.
It makes a waffle about inch + thickness. For me this is just right,
for the amount of butter and syrup that you can put on top.
I found one to match at Macy's it is a Cusineart.

I dont use the Belgium Waffle Maker ; except when Im adding
Ice cream and fruit topping , because its too much waffle for the
amount of syrup and butter. But may be good for you.!

If I want a Belgium Waffle, I just make a double decker and
put fruit or whatever filling in between.
Then you have more cooked surface area , on the Waffles.

o
PS: Substitute for heavy cream in scones

Lars: You are like a Phantom , Now you see him , now you don't !!!!!
Hope you are still looking at the Posts.

I forgot to wish you a Happy New Year, Wherever you are ???
Lou

o

I use Ann T's scone recipe, the best I've ever tried. I plead guilty to using milk instead of cream and they were still pretty darned good, although not the same. I've also successfully used yogurt and buttermilk. Again, not exactly the same, but altogether satisfactory.

I've never tried coffee mate, having never thought of it, LOL, but I have tried fat free half and half and I have mixed extra dry milk into the milk when I only had skim. Again, neither produced the same results as cream, but both were entirely acceptable to me (and to my arteries, LOL).

Raspberry(or Blueberry) Scones
================
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 Tbsp. cold butter
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup fresh raspberries
extra cream and sugar
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into mixture with pastry blender until it resembles a course meal. Add cream and raspberries to dry ingredients. Mix lightly with
fork until mixture forms a stiff dough. Knead on floured board just to incorporate all flour; try not to damage berries. Roll into 7-inch round and cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Place 1 inch apart on greased baking sheet; brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
Note: When adding fruit to the scone mixture, make sure the raspberries or blueberries are frozen. Otherwise you end up with crushed fruit. Still tastes as good, but not as pretty. I usually add the cream and when the
dough has almost come together I add the frozen fruit.

Annie

o

Hello:

This is my first time to this forum.

I am from Canada.

The nicest scones are made using buttermilk.

o

suebdoo, welcome to the Cooking Forum. Several of our members are from Canada, so I hope you feel at home here.

Annie

o

Welcome SueBDo...

Amen Annie... I used AnnT's recipe with powdered milk ( made my own canned skim milk ) and used apricot jam and mini chocolate chips and it was to die for... But the best part was that it's something hubby can eat on his low fat - low salt 'diet' and he didn't have to settle with only eating one... lol

Rita

o

Rita : Look at my Waffle recipe ( Powdered Milk )
I use it and Powdered Eggs in a lot of recipes.
Especially in Baking.
A lot of you asked about the Braided Bread so !!!

I'm going to put a Photo Tutorial for baking the Braided Bread.
I'll post on the Forum, Maybe Later tonight.
LOU

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here