Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Precooked Ham

Posted by whistle (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 13:41

I just bought a Paula Deen spiral cut ham and directions say cook @ 325* for 10 minutes per pound. Is this what you do? I was thinking longer time at a lower temp.

Thanks for your help.

Whistle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Precooked Ham

A ham is already cooked so a lower temp will be fine for reheating. Make sure it is covered with foil so it does not dry out.

I did not realize Paula Dean had her own brand of ham. Good luck and have a wonderful holiday!

Teresa in Minnesota

o

It's already cooked so just reheat up slowly to prevent drying out.

Teresa, Paula Deen does not have her own ham - it is Smithfield Ham with her name on it.

o

I'd go with the instructions.A producer like Smithfield knows what works best based on tests and feedback.

It's precooked and only needs warming. A Spiral Ham can dry out in a flash because it has been pre-sliced. Ask me how I know...do not overcook!!!

o

Good to know. I love Smithfield Ham!

o

Thanks everyone. It is a Smithfield ham with signature glaze by Paula Deen. It has her pic on the wrapper, so I just call it a PD ham. I don't use the glaze, because I'm one who doesn't like sweet ham! I used it last year and just couldn't remember whether I followed package directions or not. It was really good so I hope I don't dry it out this year!

Merry Christmas to all. Whistle

o

I bought a spiral ham last week. Not because we were having a lot of company, but because we like them.

So I had no reason to heat the entire thing. I just cut off what I needed each time (a plateful to take to a party I was going to; a few slices here and there for our dinner), and heated those up in a foil-covered casserole.

Unless you want the pretty presentation of the whole thing, and you're having a big crowd, I see no reason at all to heat the whole ham over and over, drying out the leftovers. And it saves a lot of energy--I had a 9X9 casserole for the party, only took about a half hour to heat it adequately.

So that's another alternative--just heat what you need. You can still make a pretty presentation on a platter. I added some grilled pineapple slices and a scattering of dried cranberries that I'd plumped in orange juice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here