Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Ham kabobs

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 13:41

Bit of a switch up on Christmas dinner. My son and DIL are hosting this year , usually I do . They have a very tiny house and no way can seat the 24 plus expected. Sooo..... she has decided to do a fork friendly ( i.e. no knives required) menu so we can eat as we balance our plates on our laps, floor, stairs...wherever !!!!

Good for them for opening their home and taking this on!

One of my contributions is ham. In order to make it fork friendly I thought small kabobs would work . My thinking is small skewers with ham cubes and pineapple and some with ham cubes and red and green maraschino cherries...I know but it 's festive !

Problem.......

I want to cook them basted, or in, some sort of sauce but pineapple juice is OUT . Also was thinking maybe a sauce that was added just before serving. Would like ideas for some other variations to the kabobs too.

Any ideas on what to do? I'm thinking something with mustard

PS: other meats are smoked pulled turkey on chipolte biscuits and traditional turkey with cranberry sliders, and sweet and sour meatballs so need to keep that in mind..lot of sweet happening.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Ham kabobs

Would a cube of cooked sweet potato work with the ham & pineapple?

This post was edited by seagrass on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 17:30

o

How about just sliced ham and some delicious rolls so people could make a cute little sandwich for themselves? Serve some grainy mustard on the side. I can see the appeal of the kabobs though. They sound so cute!

o

OK. So I just re-read your post. I see lots of other protein, and some of it being served with a bread product also. Silly question....but do you even need another protein like ham with all the other meat going on?

o

Chase, perhaps a antipasto type kabob with ham (in a mustardy vinaigrette) threaded with cheese tortellini, green peppers and olives, would work for you. Add cherry tomatoes (for color) if they're not too miserable this time of year.

I've made them before with hot ham and hard salami and it's always been a hit.

o

Not my party, not my menu. My DIL wants me to do ham and wants it bite size. I'm not stuck on kabobs, they just came to mind.

I' keep some sliced thin to pile on the biscuits or rolls .

Hosta , the antipasto type kabob is interesting. I really don't want to add to the sweetness . I'm thinking cherry tomatoes and olives are a way better choice than the maraschino cherries while still adding the Christmas colour.

Perhaps if I cooked the ham cubes in a mustard based sauce and then threaded with the room temp tomatoes and olives........but I really did want to serve the whole thing warm.........getting close!

o

My first thought was asparagus with the ham cubes. Green. Maybe a small piece of roasted pepper for the color too? Or I like the squash cubes. Roast all the veggies and cook your sauce down nice and thick and baste it on liberally, then roast the cubes too.

o

What about ham roll-ups. There are a gazillion recipes online, maybe not saucy like you're thinking, but with cranberry sauce on the turkey and sweet and sour sauce on meatballs, perhaps something not sauced would be a nice change. I saw this from a catering website and thought the presentation was so lovely...

o

Or, time to bring out the Bento faces and flowers kit, lol.
(yeah, i have some...made Peewee's flower box puppets a few times)

For the more serious, maybe a puff pastry tart or pinwheels.
In a cupcake pan they could be little tarts. Generous with ham but add a bit of mustard cream and cheese on the bottom, small slice of pineapple, how about a fresh pitted cherry, (in stores now i've noticed), half a cherry tomato, ham and topped with a bit more cheese?
Or some other combination delight, not necessarily Hawaiian.

I'm making a Tourte Milanese Christmas morning. Not as mile-high, and adding a ring of artichoke hearts with the spinach...could also be made in smaller tartlets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tourte Milanese

o

Hey Sharon---
I just played catch up last night reading WFD thread and realized that I missed congratulating you and Himself on C & A's nuptials! They are a beautiful couple!
It certainly was a wise idea that everyone flew south to celebrate in the warm sun rather than in the midst of your northern chill!

Enjoy your first holiday in their home. As I have learned, traditions evolve as new families blossom!
xxx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here