Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper pots: what to look for?

Posted by Why_not_me (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 13:39

Not so much specific brands, but what makes a good copper pot GOOD?

We found a fairly large copper pan (approx 10" diameter, 5" deep), with a very manly handle, in our local junk shop yesterday. The tin looks a bit iffy (patchy?), but there's nary a mark on the flat base (which makes me wonder if it's ever been used for cooking), and it's pretty heavy and solid-feeling. There is a "24" stamped into the copper near where the handle is riveted to the pan, but no other marks that we could find.

I took plenty of photos, which if anyone's interested I can no doubt put up on a photo-sharing website (suggestions please!).

They're asking $40, not negotiable at $30 because apparently they'll get $40 for it from the copper merchant!

I google re-tinning last night, and it seems it would cost us around $100 or so to have it re-tinned, but all I could find were slightly nightmarish stories about sending pans to have them re-tinned and receiving them back 8 months later after much harassing from the owner. Any recommendations on who to send the pan to (and who to avoid!) nowadays?

And, how can we tell if it's a great and genuine copper pan, with a substantial European ancestry, intended to be used in the preparation of divine gourmet pleasures, vs simply a decorative one meant for holding jelly beans over the holidays? I can't believe a manufacturer would have gone to such trouble to rivet such a substantial and utilitarian handle to a fine-looking pan, but I'm generally clueless about copper pans, so any guidance would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper pots: what to look for?

Can't help you with the pan but you don't need a photo sharing site to upload pictures anymore. Just use the "Image file to upload" feature and upload direct from your computer. Only one picture per post, but making minor changes to the subject line will let you post several messages in a row if needed.

o

Be careful with tinned copper cookware. Tin melts at 450F.

It is very easy for the cookware to get over 450F on a hot fire.

dcarch

o

Look for the thickness of the copper. Decorative is steel with copper plating, or thin copper. Serious cooking is thick copper, 2.0 mm to 3.5 mm thickness. 3.5 mm is about 1/8". Nice and heavy. Then see if the handle is robustly attached.

Could you murder someone with one blow of the pot? It's heavy enough . . .

I've never had a copper pot re-tinned, so please post your experience and who you used, if you do this.

As mentioned, you wouldn't want to use your re-tinned copper pot for really high heat cooking, or leave it heating empty on the burner. That is more cast iron territory anyway.

o

I have had many copper pots retinned. My latest retinning resource, however, has turned over his business to two proteges. They ruined a Simplex kettle that I had given them for polishing, refused to take responsibility, and have lost my (substantial) business forever. Two companies that you may want to look into (call first, ask them for turn around time, can you email a photo and get an idea of whether there'll be a problem, etc.) are

1) Fantes. Been around a loooong time.

http://fantes.com/tinned-metals.html

2) eastcoasttinning.com

PS I think the melting point is 447.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 12:20

o

also dont buy antique ppots alot have lead.They need relined.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here