SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
why_not_me

Copper pots: what to look for?

Why_not_me
11 years ago

Not so much specific brands, but what makes a good copper pot GOOD?

We found a fairly large copper pan (approx 10" diameter, 5" deep), with a very manly handle, in our local junk shop yesterday. The tin looks a bit iffy (patchy?), but there's nary a mark on the flat base (which makes me wonder if it's ever been used for cooking), and it's pretty heavy and solid-feeling. There is a "24" stamped into the copper near where the handle is riveted to the pan, but no other marks that we could find.

I took plenty of photos, which if anyone's interested I can no doubt put up on a photo-sharing website (suggestions please!).

They're asking $40, not negotiable at $30 because apparently they'll get $40 for it from the copper merchant!

I google re-tinning last night, and it seems it would cost us around $100 or so to have it re-tinned, but all I could find were slightly nightmarish stories about sending pans to have them re-tinned and receiving them back 8 months later after much harassing from the owner. Any recommendations on who to send the pan to (and who to avoid!) nowadays?

And, how can we tell if it's a great and genuine copper pan, with a substantial European ancestry, intended to be used in the preparation of divine gourmet pleasures, vs simply a decorative one meant for holding jelly beans over the holidays? I can't believe a manufacturer would have gone to such trouble to rivet such a substantial and utilitarian handle to a fine-looking pan, but I'm generally clueless about copper pans, so any guidance would be much appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm