Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make quiches and pies ahead of time?

Posted by sue36 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 07 at 13:32

I am hosting a holiday open house and want to make several things ahead of time so I'm not in a panic the day before. So far I am planning on ham, corn muffins, quiche, salmon and potato pie, fish chowder, hot crab dip, cheese fondue and spanekopeta (Greek spinach pie shaped like little triangles). There are also a bunch of desserts and appetizer plates that will be made or assembled that day or the day before.

I know I can make the corn muffins and freeze them. The ham just has to be heated. The fish chowder I will make the day before. Cheese fondue and crab dip will be made that day (easy).

What about the quiche, pies and spanekopeta? Should I assemble them and then freeze them unbaked? Or should they be baked and then frozen? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make quiches and pies ahead of time?

Quiche and pies can be baked and frozen. Wrap well in foil and reheat in the oven.
Can't help with spanekopeta as I've never made it.

Deanna

o

Thanks Deanna.

o

I would think the spanekopeta can be frozen. I've done so with artichoke filled triangles and cheese filled ones, and they were perfectly fine. I flash froze them and when they were frozen, popped 'em into ziploc bags. Then, put them on baking/cookie sheets (no need to thaw) and bake them 'til heated through and golden.

o

I wouldn't begin to freeze a quiche. It's an egg custard and I would be afraid it would get watery....and even if you added flour, I would be afraid the crust would be soggy.
I would make the crust ahead and portion it into one pie size balls and refigerate for up to 3 days....and the night before chop the veggies and garte the cheese and fry and crumble the bacon....and morning of...just roll out the crust, mix up the eggs and milk and cream, dump in the fillings and the egg mix and bake.
When I have had to have quiche ready by 7:30, I have even parbaked the crusts the night before and filled and baked the quiche in the morning.
I don't think you will be very happy with freezing quiche for a party.
Linda C

o

My best friend froze a dozen homemade quiches for a wedding breakfast and they were absolutely perfect....just wrap tightly and then bake - you would never know they were frozen.

o

Froze unbaked? Or baked?
I may have to make a test batch....because since I live alone, I really would love to have 1/4 of a small quiche in the freezer.
I have eaten those frozen mini quiche you can buy but they are not really custardy.
Now I am wishing i had a piece of quiche Lorraine for breakfast. I'm going to a luncheon later....you don't suppose she will serve quiche?
Nah! Probably doctored up canned soup and I'll trade my good jam for a overly perfumed candle!
Lidna C

o

I have frozen quiche many times, both regular and mini quiche. I bake it first, then just reheat in the oven after thawing. I don't wrap mine in foil like Deanna does, but I am sure either way would work fine.

Linda

o

Yes, I bake first.
And, to be completely honest, I don't always wrap in foil... (Smile)

It depends on how long it's going to be in the freezer. If it's just a couple of days, I'll use plastic wrap. If it's "unknown", I use foil for a thicker layer of protection from freezer burn.

LindaC: Go ahead, make a quiche, quarter and freeze the extra. Really, it doesn't separate. And such an easy POOF.
Especially if you've got a bag of homemade rolls or bread in there too!

I make 2 at a time when I have excess eggs and always put one in the freezer. Two dinners, two lunches and DH & I can polish off a whole one.

Deanna

o

LindaC you are ON for freezer testing. I KNOW you have the baking pieces to pull this off!

Three batches:

one regular, out of the oven (control)
one assembled and frozen, unbaked
one baked and frozen

On your mark, get set.....GO!

o

Hate to ask this newb question - but how LONG and at what TEMP do you rebake a fully frozen quiche? It is really important I don't have to keep everything waiting b/c I did it wrong....please advise asap!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here