SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

ISO Holiday block party ideas

jenn
10 years ago

We live in a neighborhood with several new families and many who have lived here for years. A few of us expressed a desire for a block party to meet the neighbors.

I am considering hosting a "Holiday Meet 'n Greet Block Party" near the end of December to invite the neighbors on both sides of our street. Originally I thought of an Open House, but that would defeat the purpose if some come and leave early/late and miss the others! I like the idea of 2-3 hours hours with good finger foods, desserts and drinks around the dinner hour. We have a large outdoor patio (in case the weather is dry and not too chilly), and plenty of room and seating indoors.

My husband suggested a time of 2-4pm with light snacks such as nuts and cider. Honestly - that doesn't sound very exciting and I can't imagine many of them wanting to stay very long with virtual strangers and nothing more than nuts and cider.

My preference is 5-7pm on a Sunday evening between Christmas and New Years, and serving light finger foods, desserts and beverages (including something for the kids) to create more of a party atmosphere. I would even like to send them home with a small gift of goodies from our kitchen.

I am not very savvy at entertaining like this and would like to keep it easy and budget-friendly, warm and inviting to encourage them to stay a while, and not skimp on good-tasting foods. So, I am turning to you experts for suggestions on:

1. Time
2. Duration
3. Menu

Help, please? Thanks!

Comments (10)