Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
schwan's home delivery

Posted by compumom (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 24, 11 at 13:09

They are IDIOTS!!! I have to vent--

Their database is ridiculous and their customer service people don't have the authority or competence to override it.
So much for sending my 85 year old aunt a gift package for the holidays. I've wasted close to an hour over a few days trying to place an order online, then by phone, then receiving an emailed confirmation that had the wrong name, then told that they can't personally deliver it and I was undercharged, must deliver by USPS, then being told they are out of the one chicken dish that sounded attractive and wasn't packed with sodium! SHEESH!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: schwan's home delivery

I think I tried to use them once and ran into some of those same issues. It just wasn't user friendly.

Safeway delivers groceries as do some other markets. I use Safeway often.

o

I bought a few things from them for a while....I knew the delivery man...
But when I ordered boneless chicken breast strips and they came with each piece of chicken nesteled in it's own plastic packaging...like....maybe a package of Christmas balls....I told them don't stop any more!!

o

Unfortunately Pittsburgh has Food Giant and no other grocery chains! So if anyone on the CF lives in Pittsburgh or knows of other suggestions for prepared food deliveries, please let me know.

o

Compumom, I'll ask Jim's cousin what company their Uncle Jim used for frozen food delivery. I see a number of companies when I google gourmet from food delivery, so there must be a better alternative to Schwan's.

Magic Kitchen looked good.

o
RE: schwan's home delivery???

Sally says "Home Bistro". Said that the food was great and deliveries, billing, etc, went well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Bistro

o

Ellen, now you know why I don't order food stuffs by mail.

o

What about Omaha Steaks? They have complete meals and other things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Omaha Steaks

o

Helene, thanks for coming through with another viable option. It looks quite interesting and geared towards no real prep for the recipient. I like that! I'll be giving them a call for more info tomorrow.
Happy Holidays!

Eileen, I'm looking for more complete meals and after the recent reviews of Omaha, I'm not very excited with their offerings. My aunt is/was an excellent cook. A steak she can buy and cook on her own. I was hoping for something delicious to tempt her away from broiling a steak or falling back and eating cottage cheese & fruit.

o

When I was working full time, we purchased from Horizon Foods for years. They deliver right to the door. Excellent quality. Everything is individually packaged so no waste. Excellent quality. Nice variety. Great service. They even loaded directly in my freezer.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Horizon Foods

o

I don't know anything about Omaha. They have been around for a along time and I assume they must have the service and delivery issues figured out. I have never read any reviews. I do see that they have complete meals and chicken entrees, etc.

o

Oops, the local supermarket chain is called Giant Eagle.

o

Never ordered from Schwans, so can't really comment on them.

Remember Dad ordering steaks from Omaha Steaks... came in nice cooler with dry ice... he was pleased and he was a BIG steak guy. A little OT, but he was a very smart man and made the mistake of telling his 3 kids (all late teens to adults at the time) that he put the dry ice in freezer to "save" and it disappeared!?! Did we laugh at him? Of COURSE we did!

I've never ordered by phone or online from OS... have a store not too far for the RARE occasion when I have a great coupon. I like their filet mignon... nice size, vac sealed, and nice flavor. LOVE their "steak-burgers". Anything else that omes in one of their combo packs... stuffed fish, chicken, pork chops... just SOSO... imo!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here