Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with TJ's Lavash Flat Bread?

Posted by magothyrivergirl (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 5, 09 at 12:32

I bought it - sell by date Nov 22 - what heart healthy things can I make with this - other then what it says on the package.
For those of you who buy this - what do you do with it?
It looks cool, reads healthy, they are big - (9 x 13).

I am making bean & barley soup for dinner - it is snowing -
any suggestions how to use this flat bread with the dinner?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with TJ's Lavash Flat Bread?

My husband is from Iran, where lavash was born. It will be perfect with the soup. We have been making our own, which is thicker because we like it that way, but this is what we do. I have not bought the TJs lavash. We have a gas stove, if you have electric this will not work. The person with the steadiest hands does this (which is not me).

Have everybody ready to eat. Dish up the soup ahead because you will be moving fast. My husband does this with the whole piece but until you get the hang of it, cut the bread into manageable pieces, like quarters. Or sixths if its really long. Quarter it with a scissors, not a knife. Have a plate warmed and ready right nearby. Turn on a small burner on low and put the bread piece right on the stove grate, a few seconds to char a bit, move it around to toast evenly, then flip to the other side. You are not trying to get it brown like toast: just to char the parts that stick up a bit and make them crispy. Not make the whole piece crispy. We use a pair of restaurant tongs for this. If the bread catches fire just blow it out. Onto the plate and do the next piece. Serve immediately while warm and toasted. The toasting brings out the flavor. People roll their portion and eat it that way.

Since the bread is thin, you dont want to dry it out. Thats why you cant use the oven, toaster, or toaster oven. Please be careful and dont burn yourself.

When you are not having soup, thin bread like this is often eaten for breakfast. Roll up some pieces of feta cheese in it, some Italian flat leaf parsley is good in with the feta if you have it. Cilantro leaf is also good, though this is not found in the middle east. Bread and cheese is the standard breakfast in this part of the world. Most add some kind of fresh green like dark green lettuce or spinach, usually on the side, eaten plain. Its called "sabzi" which means just "green". They have many fresh herbs also eaten for breakfast that we dont have here.

When my husband gets back I will ask him what else to do with lavash.

o

I use the ones from Trader Joe's, too! I wish I had gas burners, it sounds so good to crisp it up!

I just use it for lunch. Turkey, lettuce, tomato and roll it up! Nice change from bread.

Maybe you could make a kind of pizza with it?

Looking forward to hearing what else to use it for!

The crispy lavash sounds good with the bean and barley soup!

o

Lavash is our preferred bread to have with hummus:

Lars Hummus

I like Hummus with a strong garlic flavor, and so you may want to use a bit less than I do, but I think it improves the flavor. The important thing to remember when you make hummus yourself is to use fresh or dried beansnever canned, as they always have a "can" flavor. If you must use canned garbanzos, make sure you rinse them thoroughly.

Ingredients

1/2 pound (1-1/3 c) dried garbanzo beans, (about 3 to 3-1/2 cups cooked)
1/4 - 1/3 cup lemon juice
3-4 cloves of garlic
1/3 - 1/2 cup olive oil
3-4 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
1/2 cup tahini (toasted, if available)
2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 to 1-1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
1-2 tbsp water, if needed

Directions

Cook beans according to package instructions. I generally boil them for two minutes in a large pan, with triple height of water. Then I turn off the heat and soak for 1 hour covered and then wash them. Garbanzos will require about 2 hours to cook, after being soaked. After cooking, I rinse them twice with cold water to remove the cooking water.

Put the drained beans in a large food processor with the peeled garlic cloves (coarsely chopped) and the rest of the ingredients. Process until smooth. If it is too thick, thin with water, a tablespoon at a time.

It is difficult to find tahini made from toasted sesame seeds, and this is why I add the toasted sesame seed oil.

Variations

There are lots of ways to vary hummusthis is just a basic recipe that you can save and then alter smaller portions of it by adding kalamata olives, roasted red pepper, roasted onions, or roasted garlic. My recipe has a fairly strong lemon flavor, which you can adjust by using more or less lemon. When you alter the amount of lemon juice, you may need to adjust the salt as well, as lemon juice reduces the amount of salt required.

Serve with lavash bread, table water crackers (unsalted), or thinly sliced sourdough or French bread. Or make Melba toast by baking thinly sliced French or Italian bread for 20 minutes at 250.

Lars

o

linnea - we have an electric stove :( If it stops blowing this awful wet snow sideways, we could use the gas grill right outside the door. I will definitely try what you suggest - we also have a portable gas cooker - so when the weather gets better, we will try it. thank you so much.

Lars - thanks for the hummus recipe - we are serious garlic lovers~I never decrease the garlic! My hummus I've made in the past wasn't really great - it was probably the canned beans. I will make yours as you suggest with the dried beans.

I will report back if I make anything worth bragging about.

o

A hot hot cast iron pan will give a similar toasty result if you have one.

o

Yes...that was just what I was thinking.

o

I used my paninni -since I did not know what I was aiming for, I toasted a few 1/2 sheets until crisp & had those toasted marks, then rolled 1/2 sheet (2) and put into the paninni - they smoosh to folded, took them out when they were still kinda soft. We ate it all~the crispy ones were like thin crackers. We liked it - but we like almost everything-I will definitely buy more and cook outside on the grill. Thanks!

o

Linnea, thanks for the explanation on how to grill the lavash. I've been getting the whole wheat lavash at Trader Joe's but never thought to crisp them up. They're pretty large, so I cut them in half and then separate the pieces with parchment paper. I fit everything into a freezer bag and stick the pieces in my freezer. It works well for me because I can't go through an entire package before they either get hard, stale, or moldy. Usually I spread the thawed lavash with cream cheese and then pile on the filling before rolling them up. But I really like your idea of crisping them.

o

Magothy, another thing different about my hummus recipe is that it does NOT include cumin. I use cumin in a lot of other recipes, but I find that it masks the other flavors that I like in hummus. Omitting it gives the hummus a cleaner and fresher flavor and allows the other flavors to dominate, especially the lemon. When I first made the recipe, I had nothing to go on except my memory of how hummus I had eaten tasted, and so I just started putting together the flavors that I remembered and adjusted the proportions to my own taste. I didn't start with a written recipe, which is possibly why I was unaware (at that time) that hummus frequently has cumin. I wasn't trying to make anything authentic - I just wanted to make something that I liked.

Lars

o

I can vouch for Lars' hummus! It's yummy! (Lars, I add a sprinkling of sumac in a swirl over the top for color. Turns out sumac tastes pretty good.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here