SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Vegan make-ahead desert?

catherinet
9 years ago

DH and I are meat eaters, but DD is a Vegan and DS is a pescetarian. It can make holidays a lot of work.

One of my favorite vegan deserts is from the Jazzy Vegetarian. She makes it as a chocolate pudding-type thing, that I've turned into a pie with roasted almonds on top (with vegan whipped cream for DD).

But this christmas I wanted to make a rustic apple tart with puff pastry (which is vegan.......although I'm sure real puff pastry is definitely not!).
But.....the last thing I want to be doing right after our big holiday dinner is make this fresh apple tart. I'm thinking puff pastry (from the frozen section of the store) isn't good for make-ahead eating. Am I right? I suppose a store-bought pie crust might work out even better for making ahead? I'd love to make something the day before, but in order to accomodate DD's veganism, I'm sort of limited on the type of dessert.
Any ideas about how long puff pastry will stay decent? Any great, but easy vegan desserts that you've had yourself?

I know I could make some kind of crisp, but the rustic tart is so neat looking....and yummy.

Thanks!

Comments (12)