SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

How to buy a can opener

Lars
12 years ago

I very seldom open cans, and so I have been putting up with a bad can opener for some time, but I did put it on my list and bought one at Surfas Restaurant Supply last Saturday. All of the manual can openers they had were inexpensive, somewhat to my surprise, and so I just bought the one that had the sharpest blade. They were all made in China, and so finding a domestic one was not an option. The opener appeared okay in the store, but when I tried to open a can of tomatoes, the gears got stuck and would not turn. I finally did get the can open by punching it around about twenty times, but it was not the kind of experience that I want to repeat. I thought about taking it back to the store, but since it only cost $6, I decided that it was not worth my time to do that. Also, I may find a way of getting the gears to work, but they are obviously not made very precisely.

The only cans I buy are tomatoes and Herdez Salsa (which sometimes has a flip top), and so this is not an emergency item for me, although I prefer manual to electric. I've never tried the ones that cut on the outside of the rim, and so I think I would prefer something more conventional. I read some reviews that said the OXO opener is good, but I'm not sure where to buy it. Do I have to get it on line, or would I be able to find it in a store? I would rather see and hold it in person before buying it, which is why I would like to find it in a store. I'm thinking that I may have to go to BB&B or maybe a hardware store.

What is your recommendation? If you have had yours for a long time, is it still available?

BTW, I ended up buying a lot of other stuff at Surfas and can never get out of there for less than $100, but I did buy some very nice olive oil - a bottle from France for every day use and a can from Spain that I really really like. I made the mistake of sampling oils first and selected one from Tuscany that I liked best, and so of course it was by far the most expensive. I like the Spanish oil as well, but it was not open for tasting at the time.

Lars

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County