Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roasted vegetable magic..and more

Posted by trailrunner (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 12:24

I had a bunch of different root vegetables to use and got carried away :) I tossed the Rome apples, turnips. red bell peppers and butternut squash with EVOO and salt. Roasted at 425 till caramelized...took 30 for all but the squash which took 50 on convection roast. Divided in half and made 2 different soups. One more savory..had celery and coriander and thyme and served with grated aged cheddar. The other was a curry , use Alton Brown's recipe for curry powder and left out the celery and added a Roma tomato. Used water for the first...never use stock in a vegetable soup as it masks the flavors of the ingredients and used a combo of coconut milk and apple juice for the second.

The neat thing was getting so much from so little and taking it in 2 different directions. DH grated the beets and carrots and made a lovely orange vinaigrette to go on the slaw. It is even better the next day...served with toasted almonds, arugala and spinach as a bed and feta cheese. I made a slide show just for fun...here is a sneak peak ! c

turnips/red peppers/apples just out of the oven-

Photobucket

beet slaw :

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: slideshow of roasted vegetables

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roasted vegetable magic..and more

Hi i am new in this forum :) I wonder how does it taste. It is my first time to hear apples getting roasted :) but i would like to taste it.

o

Hello James glad to meet you :) The roasting concentrates the sugars in the fruits and vegetables. Simply evaporates the water and also the caramelization adds a nice touch. The vegetables taste wonderfully rich when roasted and so do the apples. You must give it a try . They keep very well in the fridge for days and can be used in many ways. Soup, topping for pizza, filling for a galette, quiche or just eat them like candy ! c

o

Welcome James! I hope to see you posting more often!

Teresa in Minnesota

o

Oh yum, Trail! I love the idea of adding an apple.

o

ded..it gives a lovely texture and sweetness. Hope you try it and post pics. Thank you !! c

o

Great ideas. I enjoy roasted vegetable a lot.

For some vegetables which may take a long time to roast, I steam cook them first then roast. It gives me better control of timing and texture.

Thanks for sharing.

dcarch

o

dcarch...good to hear from you...I haven't tried that. Will give it a try next week when I am roasting again. thanks for the tip.c

o

I love roasted vegetables! Really enjoyed the slide show. You've inspired me to make some vegetable soup. In the past I've always used stock as my liquid, but you make a good point about it masking the pure vegetable flavor.

o

amck..my oldest DS , the chef, is the one that told me that years ago. Even a vegetable stock will affect the flavors of the soup you are making. I do make his " chicken wonderfulness" as he calls it. Making stock from the skin and bones and then using it as the starter every time you make more chicken stock rather than starting with plain water each time. It concentrates the chicken stock to the point that you only need a teaspoon for a dish. But DH uses it in his stir fry for extra flavor and only in chicken dishes.

Thank you ! I hope you will post pics ! c

o

I made a whole sheet pan of green beans on Thanksgiving everyone was gone,love roasted veggies, can't get any easier to make.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here