Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food Safety

Posted by cookie8 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 12:24

Okay, a warning, this will probably be long.
I am planning on making a flank steak mushroom/spinach roulade. I cheaped out on using tenderloin so am improvising with this. Here is my plan - slice the steak in half length wise and giving a little pound to make nice and thin. I will then marinate over night in garlic, olive oil, spices and not sure what to use for acid - balsamic, lemon or lime. I want to fast fry it tomorrow morning and then layer with spinach and the mushroom filling. Will it be okay to sit in the fridge all day and then warmed up in the evening? Should I wrap it and then fry it and let it sit all day? Should I even let it sit all day or will there be a bacteria issue? So this is also a question on how to make a roulade.
I am paranoid as my neighbour gave me lecture over cooking my turkey at 275 for five hours. Food safety isn't my strong suit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food Safety

Flank steak is perfect for a roulade. Just marinate your steak overnight, then lay it out on a board and place your filling on top. Roll it up, tie it and roast it in the oven until done. Let if rest a bit and then slice and serve. You can assemble it in the morning with all ingredients being cold and fridge it until you cook it that day.

I am not sure why you want to cook the beef and then fill it. It will not rollup easily if "pre-cooked". If you did get it to roll, the reheating will take a bit to reach the stuffing mix and the meat could be over-cooked.

Here is just one recipe for stuffed flank.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rolled flank steak.

o

Thanks. Initially I was thinking of a jellyroll look but after seeing pictures online I think I will go just one roll. Hearing it from someone else - my initial idea sounds like a bad idea. Too tired to think for myself today! I will get everything prepped tonight, get a good night sleep and assemble tomorrow.

o

I agree with Peppi, I think cooked steak will not roll nicely. I would prepare it ahead of time and cook it just before serving.

In fact, I might do the same thing, I'm having my kids over for dinner on New Year's Day, a belated Christmas celebration when all other demands have been fulfilled and we can relax. I think everyone would like it and I have a whole steer in the freezer!

Annie

o

I'm clearly not the best cook here ;) but I'm agreeing with Peppi too. You'll love the flavor of flank for your roulade, don't worry about not using tenderloin.

I wouldn't hesitate to assemble and tie it after marinating the steak in your refrigerator, then return it to the refrigerator until shortly before your meal if your prep time is tight. And forgive me if you already knew, but roll the flank with the grain, in the direction the long meat fibers are facing - then when you slice you will be cutting across the grain as works great for flank.

I do pound a flank for a roulade, pretty vigorously depending on how thick, goal being to get is as evenly thin as I can. And I'll brown it assembled quickly in a skillet (rolling 'the roll' in the pan to get all sides) in a little fat while the oven is preheating, then hot oven about 20 minutes or so, a little longer if a larger cut, thicker ....

I hope the turkey tip was both graciously given and taken. I've had the same talk with my SIL who tried a couple of holidays to slow cook a turkey in the oven like she remembered her mother doing. I've eaten it served that way, but with my Mom now 86 and somewhat frail I really don't want anyone taking that risk with her.

I never did learn or pick up that low and slow turkey
technique from my own mother, my own mother didn't cook unless she had no choice, not her favorite thing to do either then or now ;)

o

Nope, not bothered at all by the tip. I have no problem cranking it up to 400 for 1/2 hour and then dropping. It did turn out really good though but I don't want to make my kids or anyone else who eats it sick.
I have been reciting in my brain to wrap with the grain going the "right way'. I hope I remember when wrapping. I am excited as most flanks I have made have been a little tough. It feels promising this time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here