Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How best to reheat prime rib?

Posted by seagrass (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 26, 09 at 12:23

My husband & I barely made a dent in the 5 lb. prime rib roast yesterday and there's lots left and only the 2 of us. We want to make another meal out of some of it tonight but I'm not sure how to reheat it. Should I cut pieces off the whole roast and then what?? He likes it rare - me, I'm not crazy for rare meat so I ate from one of the ends last night.

Your experience/advice is most welcome. Thank you!

seagrass

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How best to reheat prime rib?

We like our prime rib rare also and the best way I have found to reheat it is to slice it and let it sit on the counter for a little while so that it isn't ice cold and then reheat it in hot au jus.

o

Thank you trixietx. That makes sense to bring it to room temp - so I'll slice what we want to eat and do that. But I don't have any au jus. Maybe I'll run out and pick up some beef broth?? Would that do the trick?

seagrass

o

It sure would.

o

That's what I do too. I let the beef come to room temp, slice and place in a shallow baking dish and add either hot jus, gravy or beef broth to cover. Then reheat at a very low setting in the microwave just until warmed through.

o

I am not microwave savvy, it just doesn't ofren really work well for me. I heat broth in a shallow fry pan on the stove and then add the meat (whatever it is that I'd like to keep as rare as possible) and slap the cover on and turn the heat off and let it sit for a short couple of minutes.

o

What if you have no au jus or broth?

o

I just sat down here after dinner. We had leftover prime rib!
I cut off the amount I wanted and heated it in the microwave. No au jus. Just 1 1/2 minutes on high, it was perfect and just as good as last night. I also had Asiago potatoes, that dish we reheated in the oven, as I thought it could use the extra cooking.

Nancy

o

I've been having luck with the microwave. I bring the slice (1/2 to 3/4 inch) to room temp, put a bit of pan drippings if I have any left and give it 30 seconds on high, rest for 2 -3 minutes and repeat as needed until it is heated through. The resting part is important. Stays tender and doesn't get overly cooked.

o

mst, I use the packaged low sodium beef broth. I always keep a container in the pantry for things this.

o

Chase, that is funny. I keep a packet of au jus mix in my pantry for things like this!

o

Well, I have to check back in and say "thank you" so much. I went out and bought a can of beef broth and heated it in a small skillet just big enough to hold the 2 slices of prime rib that we cut from the roast. I let those sit at room temp for over an hour. Then I gently heated them in the broth. They were perfect -

I have one slice on the rib left, along with the beef broth and 2 rib bones. I'm going to make beef vegetable soup tomorrow from the leftovers.

Thank you trixietx.

seagrass

o

I pan sear mine in very, very hot pan. Love the carmelized flavor.

Just another option! For another night!

This year I actually used my new (to me) slicer and turned it into sandwich slices for our (3rd) family get together.
I think you'd have to work really hard to ruin prime rib!

Deanna

o

You are very welcome and you will have the best soup tomorro!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here