SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

Christmas cooking results?

foodonastump
10 years ago

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas, or at least day off! How'd your cooking turn out?

Christmas Eve dinner was good. I made moqueca (seafood stew) which wasn't the best I've ever made but turned out pretty good and was well received.

Christmas bruch was Eggs Benedict. I made the poached eggs in a poaching pan which I don't prefer but seemed the easiest option since I didn't get to poach them ahead of time.

Christmas Dinner started with Emeril's drunken shrimp for the first course. Easy and always enjoyed. For the main course I made a Master Chef recipe, Tamirind-Braised Short Ribs which were amazing. I cheated a bit by getting the demi glace from a local restaurant. I used flanken cut short ribs, which I had cut a bit thicker than what was in the case. They came out awesome; definite repeat. Rather than the rest of the sides in the link I tried to make bone marrow sformatino which tasted great but didn't set quite right. I'm not sure if I didn't cook them long enough or if I forgot to double the eggs when I doubled the recipe. That will need to be worked on as I really liked where it was going. They were topped with a wild mushroom mix. I was also going to serve roasted cippolini onions, but peeling them was a task I passed off and ended up being pretty labor intensive so I said "forget them." Any idea how to peel these more easily? Perhaps a quick blanch like you would with pearl onions?

So overall the cooking was good but not perfect by a good stretch. Fortunately guests were all just close family so I didn't stress much about the missteps.

Your turn!

Comments (21)