Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinegar ?

Posted by whistle (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 15, 11 at 12:02

I have a recipe for a black bean salad that calls for sherry vinegar. I cannot find it anywhere. The salad has the usual ingredients......beans, corn, red bell pepper, onions, cilantro, lime juice and honey. I have on hand rice vinegar, red wine, balsamic, and white wine. Which of these could I use in place of the sherry?

Thanks for your help.

Whistle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinegar ?

I would use the red wine as my first choice alternative, and the white wine vinegar as my second.

o

I would use the rice vinegar with perhaps a few drops of balsamic added. Like the sherry vinegar it has less "bite" than either red or white wine vinegars.
Linda C

o

A great place to check for substitutes is the Cook's Thesaurus and the link is below. Here's what they say and it goes along with the suggestions already offered.

Substitutes: balsamic vinegar OR red wine vinegar (Also add a little sugar if you wish.) OR rice vinegar

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cook's Thesaurus

o

Or, if you have sherry in the house, you could mix sherry & plain white vinegar. I've mixed red wine & white vinegar together in a pinch when I needed red wine vinegar.

o

Thank you so much everyone. And, grainlady, I actually had the Cook's Thesaurus bookmarked and completely forgot about it.

Thanks again for your help.

Whistle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here