Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
forgot to ask about light or dark brown sugar...

Posted by ilmbg (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 11:55

Which for caramel popcorn. as we dont make junk food i dont know. sorry if it is a basic question.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: forgot to ask about light or dark brown sugar...

Most of the recipes that I've seen just call for brown sugar.
The difference between to two sugars is that dark brown has more molasses in it. I would use the dark just because it would be darker in color.

Linda

o

I know this isn't what you asked, but this is just a tip...I hardly ever buy brown sugar anymore. I keep a bottle of molasses on hand and just add a little to regular sugar for recipes.

o

For caramel corn I use which ever I have the most of....as my MIL (God rest her soul) would say...."couldn't tell the difference from the back of a galloping horse."
Linda C

o

At some point, years ago, I remember reading that unless a recipe specifies dark brown sugar, you should always use light brown.

But....I buy a medium brown sugar from a restaurant supply. Problem solved, I use it for everything.

Nancy

o

noinwi,

I'm another who makes their own brown sugars depending on need. We eat from a food storage program and, for ease, I store white sugar & molasses. I make up a pound at a time.

/tricia

o

Use what you have and what you like. The difference is more molasses in dark brown and some like that better, while some don't. I used to prefer light but gettin' older I like molasses more so I like the darker stuff now. I figure I could always lighten up the dark stuff by "diluting" it with sugar if something actually required a lighter brown sugar. Or make your own as suggested and make it the color you like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here