Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use food processor to chop chocolate?

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 15, 11 at 11:36

I'm having major finger/hand arthritis problems. I'm making alot of bark this year. Can I put chunks of almond bark in the food processor to make it small enough so it will quickly melt? I just didn't want to hurt my food processor. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use food processor to chop chocolate?

Have never tried it, but thinking shred... with really SHORT pulses, NOT putting pressure on feed tube... in case machine balks??

o

You shouldn't have any problems. I wouldn't shred/grate it but put it in the bowl. Can you get it into chunks small enough to fit into the bowl (like fist size or smaller, depending on the size of your processor) and distribute it around all the "sides"? You should just be able to whirl, pulse to the size you want. I put ice in mine all the time, which probably dulls the blade, but doesn't hurt the motor.

o

Depends on the processor....if it's a good one should be no problem....but if it's a $39.95 special....I wouldn't.
But if you have a Cuisinart or a Kitchen aid...I would grate the chocolate, You will get even pieces and it will melt in a flash!
Linda C

o

I would also use the coarse grater on the food processor - I think that would be easier to control than the blade that fits inside the bowl, and you will get more even results, as Linda said. If you have really large pieces, you could consider using the slicer.

Lars

o

Thanks everyone,
It didn't even occur to me to think of using any of the grater/slicing discs! Duh!
Thanks for the suggestions!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here