SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Found these gigantic thickest purple asparagus. Asparagus on steroids!

Interesting, they are very tender all the way. I did not need to peel them.

Sous vide Pork Loin on roasted asparagus, grenadine sauce and purple potatoes.

dcarch

Comments (12)

• doucanoe
    11 years ago

I got some huge asparagus like that last spring at a local farmers market. Indeed, it was the tenderest asparagus I have ever eaten!

Linda

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

My sister bought a 100++ year old farmhouse and property in 1982. It came with rhubarb and asparagus. The asparagus spears were huge - some of them 2" in diameter. And they were fantastic - the best I've ever had.

• whgille
    11 years ago

That combination looks so tasty! Love the color purple, I grow purple cauliflower, beans, peas, tomatoes and other veggies that are this color.
    Asparagus don't do well here so I get my asparagus at the farmers market.
    Pork is probably one of my favorite meats and also like purple potatoes.
    The grenadine sauce sounds interesting and new to me.
    Another great meal from your unlimited creativity!

Silvia

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Mmmmm. Would ypu share the sauce recipe? Sounds wonderful.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Wow! I would love to find those at the market though I would probably bypass them thinking they would be tough. Today I bought some very expensive asparagus that were as thin as a skewer. Right now I am watching them closely so I won't burn them as they roast.

Silvia, do you have a great farmer's market in your area?

Cathy

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone. I am not sure where those interesting asparagus came from, not only that they are nice and tender, there are also cheap.

$0.99 a lb!

I went back and got a few more lbs.

kitchendetective, the sauce is a modified Pork Chops with Nancibella Sauce by Chef Nick Stellino .

dcarch
    ---------------------------------
    Here it is:

For the Grenadine (modified Nancibella) Sauce:

4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
    1 medium white onion, finely chopped,
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
    2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1/2 cup sherry
    1/2 cup grenadine syrup
    1 cup fresh pomegranate juice
    2 tablespoon ketchup
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
    Corn starch for thickening
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions for the Sauce:

Pour the extra virgin olive oil into a large saucepan and cook over high heat until it starts to sizzle. Add the optional red pepper flakes, garlic, the white onion and the fresh herbs; reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring well, for 3 to 4 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
    Add all the other ingredients, use a stick blender and blend everything smooth, then increase the heat to high to reduce. Stir well until reduced by two-thirds. Reduce the heat to low and add corn starch to thicken.

• whgille
    11 years ago

Cathy - I have close by the Winter Garden farmers market, in my opinion is good not great if I can compare it with others in other states that I lived in. But it was voted this year as one of the best I think in the medium size category. I try to always look for products that are from local farmers, most of the time are imports. Right now corn is good from Zellwood and citrus from various places. In my garden I have tomatoes and greens so I don't get that, soon I will have peas.

Dcarch - Thank you for the sauce recipe and here is my purple cauliflower that I ate yesterday, Just roasted with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and panko crumbs.
    I am also getting watermelon radishes, do you like those? I love them just with salt.

Silvia

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Oh, that recipe sounds wonderful! I have to make a trip into the city for a couple of ingredients, so it will be a few days, but I am definitely doing this one. Thanks!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Silvia, the grenadine sauce may go well with your ham. That is a lovely head of purple cauliflower. I notice there is a very geometric mathematical (known as fractal?)swirl. How interesting! I like all colorful veggies. Watermelon raddish is my treat whenever I see them in the stores.

kitchendetective, you might want to take a look at chef Nick Stellino's original recipe first so that you know what I have modified.

Making fresh pomegranate juice is not easy. I do have a method of doing it, but it is difficult to describe. That is another video I have not had to time to make. I am way behind.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bob_cville
    11 years ago

You'd probably love this: Romanesco Cauliflower, at the Pikes Place Market in Seattle.

• whgille
    11 years ago

Dcarch - Those watermelon radishes look so tasty. That fractal design is very beautiful and interesting, I think that I saw something like that while I was in Kathmandu long ago...

Some of the radishes that I grow

{{gwi:21141}}

Silvia

• whgille
    11 years ago

Bob - Pikes Place Market in Seattle in my opinion one of the best in the country! I still have some dried chilies from there and spices.

And here it is Romanesco in my garden

{{gwi:12601}}

Silvia