Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooling rack sale this week

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 11:33

Sunbeam cooling racks are on sale this week at Wegmans - set of three for $8.99. They stack and the legs fold up for storage. I've had mine for years and they are invaluable for making cookies in a small kitchen.

MarshCookies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooling rack sale this week

I miss Wegmans. My favourite ever grocery store.

~Ann

o

Ann T, I've never even been to Wegman's, but if I go anywhere there is one, I'm sure going to check it out, it's a favorite of so many people here.

Annie

o

I have friends around here that call it Weg-Yums! Thanks for the heads up on the cookie racks.

o

I second this--just happened to have gotten some there last week and was a bit dubious as to whether the quality would be good enough at that reasonable price, and am so glad I did. Have used them with satisfaction shortly after buying. I've had two old saggy ones with no legs for years and was always fighting with them--good riddance to them.

o

I found the exact thing at a thrift store... maybe $2-3, brand new, never used, still sealed in plastic in the box. Only use it when making a lot of cookies... around this time of year. Having 3 separate layers makes cooling cookies much easier. Thinking less than $10 is a nice deal, too.

o

I understand that the racks are advertised as stainless steel. It is possible that they are actually just nickel or chrome plated.

I would try not to use steel wool to clean them. Once the plating is gone, they can get rusty.

dcarch

o

Ruthanna, those cookies look great! Care to share the recipe?

Thank you
Becky

o

Dcarch, in the Wegmans ad, they're just listed as a three-tier cooling rack. Mine are about five years old and are not stainless steel. I've always washed them with a sponge and soapy water and they've retained the finish but I don't know how they would do in a dishwasher.

Booberry, I'll post it when I get back to my computer.

o

MARSHMALLOW FUDGE COOKIES - makes about 3 dozen

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups flour
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
16 to 18 large marshmallows
Approx. 36 pecan or walnut halves

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg, milk, and vanilla; mix well. In another bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix thoroughly. (I use a wire whisk.). Gradually beat the flour mixture into the creamed mixture. Cut marshmallows in half crosswise and set aside.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonsful onto ungreased baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 8 minutes. Open oven and gently press a marshmallow half cut side down onto each cookie. Bake for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press a nut half onto the center of the puffed-up marshmallow. (Careful, those melted marshmallows are HOT!). Cool for 3 or 4 minutes and then carefully remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Marshmallow part will firm up when cool.

Notes: I tested two cookies with these directions before I made a whole sheet full and only needed to bake them 6 minutes instead of 8 for the first step and 3 minutes for the second step. Also, I put the bowl of dough into the fridge for about 1/2 hour to make it a little stiffer and easier to drop onto the cookie sheets.

o

Posted by booberry85 "Ruthanna, those cookies look great! Care to share the recipe? "

Never mind sharing the recipe. Just share the cookies! LOL.

Ruthanna, I don't think dishwasher will be a problem, especially if you let it go thru the drying cycle.

dcarch

o

I was going to ask the stainless vs chrome question, too. As well as the dimensions. At that price I'd be interested in the set-up for my sous vide cooker if it's stainless. Between sous vide and the dishwasher several of my racks have become rusty enough to where I won't use them for food not isolated via Foodsaver bags :)

(Yes, I know it wouldn't take much ingenuity to create a rustproof rack, but if this would work for me I could ask my MIL to buy me a set at her local Wegmans for Christmas.)

o

Ooops, sorry, just saw where Ruthanna confirmed they're not stainless. Makes sense, considering the price.

o

Aldi's has similar racks for $6 something... Theirs are black and don't fold completely flat.

Rita

o

Here's a link to the identical (except for the price) rack set. It includes the dimensions and lists it as chrome plated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooling rack set

o

Thanks for the recipe! Today is a baking day and they are on the short list to make.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here