SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Mushroom Spinach Souffle Roll - should I make a red pepper coulis

caliloo
14 years ago

Hey Linda, et al

Thansk so much for the recommendation to make a "veggie" something for the brunch this afternoon. I've decided on this recipe, I think it sounds pretty good, but should I make a little roasted red pepper coulis to drizzle over this?

TIA

Alexa

Mushroom Spinach Souffle Roll -

Ingredients:

4 T. butter

1/2 cup flour

1 tsp. salt

Pepper to taste

2 cups milk

6 eggs

2 bunches cleaned fresh spinach OR 2 10-oz packages frozen spinach

1 lb. mushrooms

8 oz cream cheese

Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Melt butter in a sauce pan, blend in flour, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the milk, bringing the mixture to boil. Stir constantly until thickened. Cool mixture. Add the egg yolks and beat. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold them into the cooled sauce. Line a greased jelly roll pan with waxed paper, then butter and flour the waxed paper. Pour the soufflé mixture over the waxed paper, spreading lightly to form an even layer. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until nicely browned. While soufflé is baking make the filling. Sauté the spinach and mushrooms in butter until tender and liquid has been reduced. Add the cream cheese and mix well. Season to taste. Set aside but keep warm. Turn soufflé immediately onto a towel. Carefully remove waxed paper. Roll up lengthwise with the towel inside. After a minute or so, unroll. Spread filling evenly over the soufflé. Roll up jelly roll style with the help of the towel. Serve immediately!

This can be made the night before and reheated at 325 degrees in the morning.

Roasted Red Pepepr Coulis

Ingredients

3 large red bell peppers

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium shallot, thinly sliced

1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar

Salt and freshly ground white pepper

Directions

1.Roast the red peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning occasionally, until the peppers are blackened all over. Transfer the peppers to a bowl and let cool completely. Peel the peppers and discard the skins, seeds and cores. Coarsely chop the peppers.

2.In a food processor, combine the peppers with the olive oil, shallot and vinegar and puree until very smooth. Season the coulis with salt and white pepper.

Comments (4)