SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

Cupcake help!

Chi
12 years ago

Hi, I made cupcakes last night for my company holiday party tonight. They were chocolate Guinness cake with a whiskey ganache and Baileys frosting. The finished product was the BEST cupcake I have ever had. It was amazing.

However, in a non-thinking moment, I refrigerated the cupcakes overnight and now the frosting has hardened/crusted. I have them on my desk now in containers to see how they do at room temperature but I think the dreamy, creamy buttercream is lost forever.

I think the problem is that this buttercream has more powdered sugar than usual to offset all the Baileys liquid so it hardened up more than I anticipated. It still looks nice and tastes good but the lovely texture is gone.

Do you think a few more hours at room temperature would make them okay? I'm considering scraping it off, rebeating it and re-piping but I'm worried that will make the cupcakes look messy, plus it will be a time crunch for me to try to do that between leaving work and the party an hour later.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? I'm kicking myself because I spent hours on them last night and I'm such a perfectionist that I don't want to present anything that isn't amazing. Here's what they look like:

Comments (8)