SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grainlady_ks

If milk prices skyrocket after Jan. 1st....

grainlady_ks
10 years ago

"Milk prices could skyrocket on January 1st if Congress fails to pass a new Farm Bill." This will impact all dairy products we now use.

What will you do if milk prices jump from $1.99/gal. (current price at Aldi) to a projected $8/gal.? Pay at any price, buy less, do without, purchase or make alternatives (nut milk, rice milk, oat milk).....or something else.

As part of our home food storage we store, and use daily, powdered milk products, and have done so since 1981. We've always purchased enough for a year, and added more when it's on sale (buy one, get one 1/2-price). I've literally never run out of milk since 1981.

These products can be purchased in #10 cans (25-year shelf-life) and by-the-pail in 14#, 25# and 37# pails (least expensive way to purchase per gallon of milk) depending on the brands. If you purchase it in a pail, plan on using it within a year of purchase. If you have a FoodSaver with a jar attachment, it will keep longer if you package it in quart or half-gallon canning jars and vacuum-seal the jars with the canning lid using the FoodSaver and store in a cool, dark place in your home.

Some brands taste better than others (see link below). Some brands are instant (mixes instantly with water) while other brands are non-instant and must be mixed with warm/hot water. I'd also suggest buying 1 or 2 pump-pitchers for easy mixing and use.

If you are considering stocking-up on powdered milk products as a hedge against possible rise in prices, I'd suggest these brands over powdered milk products from the store, and get your orders in before prices go up. Powdered milk products purchased at the store are more expensive, don't taste as good, and don't have the long storage life that these products do.

**Grandma's Country Cream - Best tasting for drinking. Available in a #10 can 3.1 # = 5 gallons of milk and a 25# pail. This is 100% Real Instant Nonfat Milk that mixes instantly in cold water. It's what I serve to guests who are milk drinkers (they never know it's powdered milk) and what I use for homemade kefir and yogurt. It's not the best price, and shipping is a killer, but sometimes you have to pay for taste.

**From Augason Farms -
-Morning Moo's Whey-Based Milk Substitute - low-lactose, good flavor, and what our family of lactose-intolerant members use. Available in #10 cans and 37# pails. If you have a Sam's Club membership, it's cheaper purchased through them, plus Sam's has free shipping and it's dropped-shipped to your door.

-Country Fresh 100% Real Instant Nonfat Dry Milk is also available from Augason Farms. Available in a #10 can and 14# pail. Good flavor.

**LDS Non-Instant Cannery Milk - flavor not as good, but the price is the best.

**Make your own non-dairy milk alternatives - nut milk, coconut milk, oat milk, rice milk, etc., for much less than commercial brands. Bonus, I use the raw leftover pulp to make cookies, crackers, "cereal". Dehydrate the pulp from making almond milk and use it in recipes that call for almond flour.

Any other thoughts, brands, plans?

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: LDS Emergency Resources - Pd. Milk

Comments (33)