Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Michigan Black Cherry Preserves

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 8, 11 at 11:06

I'm in love!!!! A few years ago while visiting friends in NC, who live just off the Blue ridge Parkway, we had occasion to eat at the Parkways Mabry Mill Restaurant several times. Enter Michigan Black Cherry Preserves...OMG I thought I had died and gone to Heaven. Anyhow, the restaurant is temporarily closed for repairs to the parkway, no timetable as to when it will be finished.

I want some of those preserves!! I have no idea what the brand name was. A friend brought me a jar processed by Clearbrook Farms and they are very good too. Any of you lucky people in Michigan have any recommendations?
I will order multiple jars and share with a friend.

TIA,

jude

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Michigan Black Cherry Preserves

I'll put a link to Cherry Republic below, they make preserves using black cherries.

The other place is American Spoon. They don't do a preserve with the black cherries but many people use the Black Cherry Fruit Perfect. It's a little softer, not as sweet as a preserve.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Republic

o

Thanks, Nancy. I'll check it out.

jude

o

You might check out Nottawa Fruit Farms

I don't know if they have black cherry preserves,
But they do have a pretty good variety of jams & jellies.

Their apple butter is the best in the world!

It's been a few years since I've been there.
I think I'm disappointed to find an Amish establishment
has a web site.

Rusty

Here is a link that might be useful: Nottawa Fruit farms

o

Rusty, I agree that is a surprise finding they use the internet. They close in Nov. but were kind enough to answer my email. Couldn't help me though. I do have one source, so if push comes to shove I can use it.

Thanks,

jude

o

Jude, here is another scorce. The company is located near to me and has been in business for decades.

The black sweet cherries are mostly eaten fresh around here. Tart cherries are the cherry flavor that most people look for in jam type goods, that's why black cherries are harder to find. I wish I had a dime for every customer that I had to explain that to when I worked at American Spoon. :)

Nancy

o

Thanks Nancy. American Spoon has interesting jams, preserves etc., unfortunately not what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
jude

o

rusty, the people who have Nottawa are not Amish, they don't say anywhere on their website that they are Amish. They just live "in Amish country". They are retired school teachers, so it's not surprising that they have a website.

Jude, I have a lot of sweet cherries in the freezer, I ought to make some jam. Right after I'm done with Christmas cookies and playing with that new grand baby!

Annie

o

Annie, I guess I assumed they were basically Amish.
The times I've been there, many of the women working
in the store wore the Amish bonnets.
The girl at the register in one of the pictures
is wearing one.
I think there are different "denominations" of Amish.
With different dress codes,
And different 'rules' as to what modern conveniences
are allowed.
Guess I was wrong.
And I really do know better than to ever "assume" anything!

:>)

Jude, I do hope you find what you are looking for!

Rusty

o

I just ordered a case from Clearbrook Farms. We like them, guess I was just trying to find another kind hoping they would be what I had in NC. These are probably just as good.

Thanks all,

jude

o

rusty, there are varying requirements among Amish communities, I suppose, but a business in an Amish area won't hesitate to hire Amish workers. They are hard working and honest, by and large they are good employees and very reliable.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here