Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which side dish

Posted by lucky400 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 10:52

Hi,

I need help deciding which side dish I should serve for a new year's eve dinner party.

I am serving:

appetizers - hot crab dip, cheese platter and a guest is bringing an appetizer

dinner - beef tenderloin, twice baked potatoes, hot rolls, and for dessert my grandmothers chocolate mousse ice box cake.

The sides I am considering.

Green beans (harciot verts) with carmelized pearl onions

Roasted cubed butternut squash and red onion tossed with dried cranberries and fresh baby spinach which will wilt when tossed with the squash.

Zucchini and carrot souffle

I just can't make up my mind which to serve. Could use help with this.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which side dish

Well, you have an abundance of starch, along with creamy/cheesy, and not a lot of color, so I'd go with the green beans.

o

Me too!

o

Green beans hands down! No contest !

o

Personally I'd go with at least the beans AND the squash. Here it's thought a bit odd if you only have one vegetable besides potatoes as a side dish.

o

I agree with Colleen, I'd go with both, they'd add a kick of color and each has a different flavor profile. The menu sounds delicious, BTW.

Annie

o

Ditto Colleen.

o

Love Collen to death but can't agree. I think the menu should be super simple but elegant for a New Years Eve...I'm guessing there will be a starter and a lovely dessert....and beverages

Now a Sunday dinner with the trimmings would demand two sides..

o

I think the green beans definitely go best with the rest of the menu so if you are doing one that is the way to go. However, I am tempted to say both because that butternut squash sounds fabulous.

o

I concur, Green Beans would be perfect! That said, will you please share the squash recipe for all to see? It sound yummy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here