Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you clean your oven before or after?

Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 23, 11 at 10:51

We'll be doing a 10# turkey tomorrow by high heat, and the oven needs cleaning. So, do you clean your oven before or after?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you clean your oven before or after?

I would clean it before doing the turkey. High heat can cause a lot of smoke if the oven is dirty...ask me how I know.

Nancy

o

Yes, I would clean the oven first. Nobody likes a smoky house, and that COULD set off your smoke alarms.

Donna

o

Depends on the condition of the oven.

If it has spills in it,
definitely before.
Otherwise, clean it after,

Rusty

o

You're supposed to clean the oven? Huh. Mine is nine years old, and I never found out if the self-clean function works. I can no longer see throuh the glass on the door, but I do "sweep" out the crumbs that collect on the oven floor. Clean ovens are over-rated!

o

How bad is your oven? I never clean mine. Okay, maybe once every few years. I don't like the self-cleaning cycle, I think the heat is bad for the electronics of an appliance that is already shoddily made in China and at 12 years old is well past its designed mean time before failure. And last time the self-cleaning door lock wouldn't disengage and I had to disassemble the oven to get it open. So I wouldn't run the self-cleaning before an important dinner. Maybe I'd use elbow grease to clean up the worst of the spills. Otherwise I'd just crank the vent fan, crack the windows, close the doors, unplug the smoke detector, and roast away.

o

If a "dirty oven" has been used often enough, all the grease and spills will be burned off and there's no need to clean it before doing a high heat bird.
Someone once calculated that to run a full cycle clean it costs nearly $6.00 in power....think about it before you set the dials!
Linda C

o

Clean? I'm just praying the darned thing works. Bought it off Craig's List a few weeks ago and haven't installed it yet. On my to-do list for today as I'm hosting Christmas dinner. Please wish me luck. It's OLD!

o

YES, because my SIL might look to see if it's clean.

I did recently ruin the finish on my beautiful, much loved, Breville toaster oven by cleaning it with oven spray (I tried ammonia first).

FOAS, Good luck! The first time I cooked Christmas dinner (which was the first week in our new house), the turkey wouldn't fit! We were busy moving in and I didn't realize that the oven was an apartment size oven.

o

Hahaha sherrman, I agree!

o

I don't know about you guys, but, if it came down to me cleaning the oven the old fashioned way or spending $6.00 worth of electricity--- Well, you can guess what I would do. (That's true even if I had hands and knees capable of doing so.) I also don't let it get that bad. If I get a bad spill, it gets cleaned right away. I set it for the shortest cycle I can, 2 hrs on my oven, and have the option of canceling sooner if need be.

o

Just to add my 2 cents, I would have cleaned before, for no other reason than the fact it was dirty, and if necessary, after. I have a self cleaning oven that does work well.

o

I clean mine when it starts to smoke while cooking something in it. I just set it at night and in the morning it sparkly clean.

Linda

o

Helene, I'm sure you already know this, but if you use a pan that is just big enough for your turkey, you shouldn't have smoke. Unless something spilled in your oven recently, I wouldn't bother cleaning it now.

Ann

o

FOAS, what kind of oven did you get?

o

High heat roasting in a dirty oven may not smoke up your house but it sure gives off the most unpleasant odor. Ask me how I know!

o

I wrongly gave the impression I am super clean which I'm not! But I do have an easy to use self cleaning oven so I use it often.

o

After! I had the same experience as Johnliu. Set the oven for the clean cycle and after cleaning, the lock wouldn't unlock. Something of an ordeal to get the dang oven to open. DH had to do some disassembly and, after that, the clean cycle won't work. It's a Kenmore rebadged General Electric hunk of junk. We don't use the oven a whole lot anyway so I just keep up w/ the spills w/ Comet or an SOS pad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here