SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

maple fudge help

Chi
12 years ago

I've tried the maple fudge from Ann_t twice now and it's failed both times. I know it's me and not the recipe so I'm wondering if anyone can help.

It's the "soft ball" stage that I have trouble with. When I add it to the cold water, it doesn't seem to form a ball but rather just a squiggle in the water if that makes sense. I wasn't sure if it would actually form a ball or if I'm being too literal! Can anyone tell me what soft ball vs. hard ball looks like in the water?

Both times I made it, it turned into caramel and never set up. From what I can tell, that means I cooked it to the hard ball stage, right? I definitely cooked it for long enough as it went well past the 7 minutes and I couldn't tell what it was supposed to look like. It was still yummy but not what I was looking for. I'm hoping to give this as a gift for Christmas to someone who loves maple.

I have very little experience making fudge or anything that requires timing/water testing like this so any advice is well appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County