Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Date Slice vs Date Filled Cookies

Posted by cookie8 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 12, 11 at 10:44

I love date slice. I have never had date filled cookies though. Has anyone tried both? I would like to make the date filled cookies for Christmas but if they are not nearly as good as the cake version I may stick with date slice cake. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Date Slice vs Date Filled Cookies

What I make is a date filled spiral cookie - easy to do and they keep well. Not sure what a date slice is - a cake square with date filling in between 2 layers? Date nut bread is very good too. And have you ever made the date cookies with rice krispy cereal rolled in coconut? Can you tell I love dates?

Teresa

o

Me too - love dates. Do you have a recipe for the date spiral? Thanks

o

Date Whirls

1/2 lb. pitted dates
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 t lemon juice
1 TB butter
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 t soda
1/4 t salt

Combine dates with sugar and water in a saucepan. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and 1 TB butter. Cool. Stir in pecans.

Cream 1/2 cup butter with the brown sugar. Beat in the egg. Stir flour with soda and salt, add to creamed mixture.

Chill dough for 30 minutes. Divide dough into 2 parts. Pat each into a rectangle on lightly floured wax paper, about 12" long.

Spread half of the date mixture on each rectangle of dough. Roll up on long side. Wrap in waxed paper. Over wrap the rolls and chill 30 minutes, or seal, label, date, and freeze up to 6 months.

To bake: cut dough (partially thawed if frozen) into thin slices. Place slices on a greased cookie sheets. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.

A nice cookie to have with tea or for Christmas gift giving and serving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here