SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Left over cardamom and saffron syrup

sally2_gw
12 years ago

Hi, all, and happy New Year!

Our dessert for Christmas dinner was poached pears with Cardamom and saffron syrup, from Bon Appetit magazine. I just polished off what was left of the pears, and still have some of the very flavorful syrup left over - maybe about a half cup worth. I've popped it into the freezer, but I'm thinking it might be good in some kind of coffee cake, bread or something along that line. Any ideas? I'll post the recipe, so you may have an idea of the flavor. It's sweet, but surprisingly not icky sweet.

Poached Pears with Cardamom and Saffron

1/2 tablespoon cardamom pods

2 cups dry white wine

3/4 cup sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon saffron threads

Pinch of kosher salt

4 firm pears, peeled, stems intact

1 6-ounce container creme fraiche

Preparation

Gently crush cardamom with a rolling pin or the bottom of a skillet to slightly crack open pods without releasing seeds. Combine cardamom, wine, sugar, lemon juice, saffron, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer. Add pears; add water if needed to completely submerge pears. Cover with lid slightly ajar and simmer, turning occasionally, until pears are tender but not mushy, about 30 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer pears to a plate. Increase heat and boil poaching liquid until reduced to 1 cup, 10 - 15 minutes. DO AHEAD: Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate pears. Let syrup stand at room temperature. Rewarm syrup before continuing.

Spoon some of syrup over cold or room-temperature pears. Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche; pass remaining syrup.

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/01/poached-pears-with-cardamom-and-saffron#ixzz1hZR3O3dL

Sally

Here is a link that might be useful: Poached Pears with Cardamom and Saffron

Comments (3)