Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need mushroom suggestion

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 10:42

I'd like the make the recipe linked below. I don't know one mushroom from the next except by their appearance. It says to use assorted mushrooms. Can anyone suggest which I should choose?

PS In case the link does not work, it's a vegetable stock based soup with the addition of mushrooms, spinach, Cabernet Sauvignon and 1-2 T fresh ginger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grubs spinach mushroom ginger soup

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need mushroom suggestion

That sounds like a great winter soup recipe, Socks. Of commonly available fresh mushroom varieties, I'd probably use a combination of crimini and shiitake.

o

Love the idea of Crimini and Shiitake, I might even a a few Oyster mushrooms (if you can find them) and some regular white button.

Really, anything you can find in the mushroom family would be great in that recipe I think.

Alexa

o

I agree crimini and shitake and regular white would all be great. The only ones I would not use is Portabello.

o

A Portobella is just a grown up Crimini.

o

Yes I know that Eileen but like all of us as we grow older we change ....same with Portabella's in my mind they are too earthy.

o

In case anyone cares, I did make the soup. I liked it, DH did not. It's very wine-y. The shiitake mushrooms were tough, but the oyster and whites were ok. If you make it the way they say, pouring the broth over the spinach and ginger in the bowls, the spinach leaves don't cook up very well. I mixed it all in the pot.

o

"---shiitake mushrooms were tough---"

They should not be tough, unless you did not remove the stems, or they got all dried out.

dcarch

o

Shitake stems are tough, but I don't usually find the tops/caps to be. That's too bad, after all the work making the soup.

It reminds me that I have a container of baby "bellas" in the fridge that I need to use up.

Annie

o

I sometimes find that mushrooms end up being tough in my soup. I usually use Criminis or white buttons. I wonder why.

o

I did not remove the stems from the shiitakes. The white buttons were very nice, the oysters were somewhat chewy but ok.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here