Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wonton recipe

Posted by clairdo2 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 1, 11 at 10:35

I have a wonton recipe that calls for Ranch Dressing but i don't like Ranch. What can i substitute with. This is not wontons for soup, it's an appetizer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wonton recipe

What are you putting in the wontons?
It would make a difference what kind of sauce or dip you make for them.

Linda

o

I'm pretty sure than isn't traditional. LOL!

Are you looking for the filling or a sauce to serve with the Won Tons?

I make a pork filled wonton and serve it in a spicy chili sauce.

I serve these as an appetizer/dim sum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Wontons

o

Depends on the filling. I like sweet and sour sauce with my pork or shrimp wontons.

o

I was so hoping Ann would post! I love that filling. I couldn't find it even after looking. Don't know why I couldn't, but I couldn't. Best stuff ever!

o

This is my favorite won ton recipe. I like them fried as an appetizer.

Crispy Fried Won Tons
from “Madame Wong’s Long Life Chinese Cookbook”

1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 tsp salt
1 T soy sauce
1 T sherry
4 water chestnuts, finely chopped
1 scallion, finely chopped
1/2 egg, well beaten
2 leaves of bok choy, blanched and chopped fine (I leave this out)
Won ton wrappers
2-4 c oil for frying

Combine pork with salt, soy sauce, sherry, water chestnuts, scallion, egg and bok choy. Mix well.

Put 1 teaspoon of the pork filling in center of each won ton wrapper. Fold in half diagonally, then bring two corners together in front. Dab corners with a bit of water and press together.

Heat oil to 400F in wok. Deep fry in small batches for about 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Serve with sweet and sour sauce and/or Chinese hot mustard.

Linda

o

Did someone say wonton? My secret addiction. Did you know you can put ANYTHING in a wonton and fry it and it is just wonderful? These are tried and true. The pork/shrimp filling can be boiled for soup, or fried. Either way is great. I suggest you fry a small amount of the mixture in a pan to taste test first to adjust seasoning. I was lucky enough to have a brother marry a Korean and a sister marry someone from Viet Nam.

Wonton Soup/Fried Wontons (follow part one only)

PART ONE:
(one pound ground turkey can be substituted)
one pound each shrimp and ground pork
6 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 tablespoons sesame oil
1 cup each finely chopped onion and mushrooms

PART TWO: (put this in the bottom of each soup bowl)
fresh cilantro chopped (one pinch)
fresh scallions finely chopped (one pinch)
sesame oil (2-3 drops)
pepper to taste

Mix part one together and put one teaspoon size into a very thin wonton wrapper until all meat is wrapped. You can fry these in oil and serve as fried wontons.

For soup put part two into the bottom of soup bowls. Bring chicken stock to a boil in one pot. Boil the wontons in water in a second pot. Ladle out wontons into bowl after you drain them, ladle chicken stock over them. (if you boil the wontons in the soup stock, the soup stock turns cloudy) Enjoy.

Dipping Sauces:
Vietnamese Sauce
1/2 cup fish oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
Shaved carrots
Soy Sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
Chopped cilantro
Chopped green onion

Canola oil, for frying
8 tablespoons cream cheese
3 tablespoons ricotta cheese
2 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar (1 1/2 for mix, 1 tablespoon for garnish)
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
10 thick egg roll skins
1 cup raspberries, fresh preferred
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Heat 1-inch of canola oil in large saute pan, to 325 degrees. In a bowl mix the cream cheese, ricotta, and 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar with a whip, until thoroughly blended.

Beat egg and milk together. Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of cheese mix in center back of egg roll skin and place 4 to 6 raspberries in the center of cheese mixture.

Brush egg wash around edges of skin, fold left and right sides of skin in 1/2-inch, and then roll from back to front, insuring that the roll is sealed.

Place in oil and cook both sides until golden brown. Let drain on paper towels for 2 to 3 minutes. Dust with cinnamon and sugar. Serve with whipped cream and raspberries, if desired. Makes 5 servings

o

Sorry about the post above. There are two different dipping sauces, one is Vietnamese, the other is Soy Sauce. I neglected to make a break in between the two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here