Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paraffin in chocolate

Posted by brownthumbia (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 5, 10 at 10:10

I'm going to make some peanut clusters plus a few other things and I'm going to use chocolate chips. What I'm wondering is how much paraffin would you add to the 12 oz. pkgs of chips? I'm thinking the paraffin will keep the chocolate from melting in your hands. Anyone have an answer for me? In the past I did use wax but I can't remember what the formule was. If you could just tell me the ratio between the wax and chocolate I would really appreciate it. I'm planning on making other chocolate candy too so I think this would be a big help. Thanks in advance. BT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paraffin in chocolate

I don't know if this helps, but my husband has a recipe for chocolate balls, and it calls for four squares of Baker's chocolate to 1/4 cup of shredded paraffin wax.

o

"I use 1/4 bar (1-ounce) paraffin wax per 1 (12-ounce) package of semisweet chocolate chips. I use this also when making Christmas candies. Just melt it with the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot water."

From baking911.com. I have done this for dipping biscotti I shipped to someone but really didn't see much difference. I stopped bothering.

o

I'm not going to use paraffin. You can taste it and it isn't necessary. While straight chocolate will melt a bit when picked up, the texture and taste are much more pleasing. Additionally, I think the chocolate chips have a stabilizer in them and eliminate the need for paraffin. I'll be using Belgium chocolate that doesn't have additives, so my friends will just have to lick their fingers!

o

The whole idea of paraffin in food makes me uncomfortable. Is it even healthy? I mean if we are worried about stuff like hydrogenated oils...wouldn't paraffin be worse for your health? I mean seems like it would clog your arteries. I can't see me ever making a recipe with paraffin. I think I'd rather them melt a bit on my fingers!

o

Paraffin (wax - food-grade) is in that nebulous "Generally Recognized As Safe" category and is also categorized as a "chemical preservative" - generally used on fruits and vegetables. It quickly passes through your system without being broken down, so no clogged arteries from it. It's also the stuff they coat waxed paper with.

In candy-making it provides the "shine" on those chocolates and helps keep items from losing moisture and they keep better at room temperature.

I add coconut oil instead of paraffin. Non-hydrogenated coconut oil is quite hard at cool room temperatures, but it begins to melt if the temperature is around 70-degrees F or warmer, so keep that in mind.

Another old tip - coconut oil was also used in fondant icing on donuts to keep the icing looking good in humid weather. This is one of those tips I found and keep in my "Book of ODD Knowledge".

-Grainlady

o

Just a funny--I often "see" strange words when I read. I almost always read elephant as eggplant. I just noticed this thread and saw: "Puffins in chocolate."
Guess I need a chocolate fix soon!
Nancy

o

I generally use a ratio of 1:10 paraffin to chocolate, but you can use as much as 1:6, which many people recommend. If you use less than 1:10, it will not have much effect, but it does help with preventing (to some extent) the chocolate from melting in people's hands. I've made chocolate turtles without using the paraffin, and people did not seem to mind the chocolate on their hands, but it was pretty messy to eat.

Paraffin has a much higher melting temperature than coconut oil, but I'm sure that coconut oil has a much better flavor.

Lars

o

Oooooh, no thank you! Chocolate is chocolate. It melts.

o

I thought tempering is what gave chocolate that shine. I also thought that paraffin is derived from fossil fuel, but I may have it confused with something else. What exactly is paraffin, aside from being a wax? Where does it come from?

Sally

o

Grainlady: what proportion of Chocolate to Coconut oil do you use?

o

Isn't it a laxative?

o

westelle -

I don't remember any more - it's been too many years since I've made chocolates (I live a hop skip and a jump from a Russell Stover factory -- LOL).

In recipes that call for shortening in the chocolate, I use equal amounts.

-Grainlady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here