SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Whole grain artisan bread

lpinkmountain
10 years ago

I've been trying to master whole grain artisan bread in the bread machine (not the 5-minute at day kind, I am not able to do that kind). I've been using Beth Henspergers "The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook." I make the dough in the machine and then bake. I've been making rolls a lot but also some bread in a romertopf clay baker. I haven't had much luck with free form, mine flatten out.

The biggest problem I have with these breads is mine taste yeasty and grassy. Kinda seems like Beth calls for a bit too much yeast in her recipes and I'm not sure why. Any tips on the yeast to flour ratio? I seems to have more of this yeasty taste when I use the bread machine yeast. Recipes usually call for more of this but I'm cutting it back to the same proportions as SAF yeast and haven't noticed any difference in rising, just less of the yeasty taste. My dad bought me a whole jar of bread machine yeast so I have to use that up before I can get any other kind. I've been using Bob's Red Mill hard whole wheat bread flour. Mostly I use a sponge, and these recipes seems to have the most yeasty and grassy taste of all.

My texture seems ok, not as springy as I would like but pretty good. Just the taste. Any ideas on how to improve the flavor? I have made some good mixed grain breads like oatmeal but they are the softer kind and have a fair amount of white flour too. I am shooting for the chewy kind of bread with a nice thick crust. You know, the kind they sell for upwards of $5.00 a loaf at the high end bakeries.

Comments (17)