Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coconut Brittle recipe anyone?

Posted by sheshebop (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 12, 11 at 9:37

A friend says she remembers coconut brittle from when she was small. It was her father's favorite. She says she cannot find a recipe anywhere for it. It did not have any nuts in it, only shaved (not grated) coconut. Does anybody know of this? I wonder if I could just make a peanut brittle without the peanuts and only use coconut (if I can get the darn shell off). Perhaps somebody remembers something like this. I am nervous about just making brittle and finding out it was more like a toffee consistency. I just thought somebody here might have heard of or remembered such a thing.
Sher

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coconut Brittle recipe anyone?

I've seen it in combination with nuts in brittle. It might be wise to toast the coconut to make it really dry. I've removed coconut meat from the shell. It's no fun. Bob's Red Mill sells unsweetened dried coconut flakes, not shreds. Maybe you can locate it in a store close to you. Health food stores might sell packaged shaved coconut as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coconut.

o
Forgot to add...

Sounds yummy!

o

Is this it?

Coconut Brittle is a rich, toasty brittle recipe with loads of flavor from shredded coconut. If you thought brittles had to include peanuts or other nuts, you must try this coconut variation. It�s wonderful dipped in chocolate, eaten plain, or crushed and used on top of coconut cream pie or other desserts.

Yield: 1 lb coconut brittle

Ingredients:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda

Preparation:

1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside for now.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the water, corn syrup, sugar, butter, and salt over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar and butter dissolve, then insert a candy thermometer.

3. Cook the candy without stirring until it reaches 240 degrees F (115 C) on the thermometer. Once at 240, add the unsweetened coconut and stir it into the candy.

4. Once the coconut is added, you will need to be very vigilant and stir the candy frequently to prevent it from burning. It will be thicker and more difficult to stir, and might clump around the thermometer. The coconut will start to darken and the whole candy will get browner and have a toasty aroma, but with frequent stirring it should not blacken or burn.
5. Cook the candy until it reads 290 degrees F (143 C) on the candy thermometer.

6. Once at 290, remove the pan from the heat immediately and stir in the vanilla extract and baking soda. As the baking soda is added the candy will start to loosen up and foam up.

7. Pour the candy onto the foil-lined baking sheet and use an offset spatula to spread it into a very, very thin layer. This candy is better the thinner it is, so try to get it as thin as possible.

8. Once it has started to set but is still flexible, carefully use your hands to pull it thinner, as you would stretch peanut brittle.

9. Allow the Coconut Brittle to cool completely. Once cool, break it into small chunks. If you want, you can smear chocolate on the brittle before breaking it, or dip individual pieces in chocolate.

10.Coconut Brittle can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful: coconut brittle

o

Oh THANK YOU Shaun! I have a friend who Loves coconut (as I do), and am happy to have something like this to fall back on.

Sherry, I am so glad you asked!

o

You're welcome, I just googled it, haven't made it myself. But if it turns out yummy, you can call it Shaun's Coconut Brittle. hahaha!!

o

Thanks Shaun. I googled it also and came up with nothing. Maybe Google doesn't like me either.
Anyway, I will try that one this week.
Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here