SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

A cookie recipe without salt?

sally2_gw
14 years ago

I received a Martha Stewart cookbook at a gift exchange at a Christmas party the other day, and decided to try this cookie recipe. I was nearly through with mixing the dough when I realized it didn't list salt. I re-read the recipe many times, and nope, it doesn't call for salt. Could this be an oversight, a typo, or intentional? Here's the recipe.

Orange Sable Cookies

6 ounces (1 1/4 cups) whole blanched almonds (I used blanched slivered almonds, because I didn't want to mess with blanching almonds)

1 cup confectioners' sugar

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

3 tablespoons finely grated orange zest (2 to 3 oranges)

1 large egg

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1. Process almonds and sugar in a food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal; set aside.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and zest on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. On low seed, gradually add almond mixture; beat until combined, 10 to 15 seconds. Add egg and orange juice; beat until combined. Add flour all at once and beat until combined. Wrap dough in plastic; refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 week, or freeze up to 6 weeks.

To make the cookies:

1. Remove dough from refrigerator: divide in half. Form eah half into a rough log. Place eachlog on a 16-by-12 inch piece of parchment paper. Fold parchment over dough; roll and press dough into 1 1/2 inch diameter logs. Wrap in parchment. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Spread sanding sugar in a shallow dish. Remove logs from refrigerator; remove parchment. Roll logs in sugar to coat. Slice logs into 1/4 - inch-thick rounds; place rounds on prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.

3. Bake until edges are golden, about 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 weeks.

So, what I'm thinking about doing is adding just a touch of fleur de sel to the sugar to give the cookies the punch I'm expecting them to lack. I tasted the dough when I realized they were without salt, and I thought it was just slightly bland. However, I'm wondering if that's because it's what I expected. They had good flavor other than that. I'm not a person that salts their food, but I've been watching Top Chef, where salt is king, and then last weekend heard an interview on Splendid Table with Thomas Keller, where he talked about how important it is to properly season your food. Maybe I've been overly influenced by media and celebrity chefs, lol.

Sally

Comments (23)