Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limoncello substitute

Posted by ovenbird (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 07 at 9:23

I'm trying a cheesecake recipe that calls for 1/2 cup limoncello and would like to substitute it with something non-alcoholic. Can I just use equal amounts of lemon juice or will this make it too tart?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limoncello substitute

I'm thinking that would be way too tart. It's been a long time since I've had limoncello (not a fan) but the first thing that came to my mind as a NA substitute was lemonade concentrate. I could be way off base here though, hopefully others will chime in.

o

I can't think anything would be a really successful substitute. In a cheese cake, a lot of the alcohol....and hence volume will burn off in baking...
I suppose you could just add grated lemon rind to the cheese cake and have a lemon cheese cake....but I really don't think you can sub lemonade.
If I came across a recipe which called for as much as 1/2 cup of something I didn't want to use....I would look for another recipe.
Is there something else about this cheese cake that makes it different that makes you want to use it?
Lemoncello is a slightly sweet....very very lemony liquor.
Linda C

o

Hope this is not to late, but could you get some of the "Torino" lemon syrup. You know the bottled syrup used for flavoing coffee's and sodas. Lemoncello, is syrupy, so this is a good substitute...

o

I think both the suggestions above would work. imho, it's the consistency of the substitution along with the taste. I might mix some of the concentrate or the syrup with some fresh lemon. It wont' be the same but it'll be yours.

o

Here is the recipe I was thinking of making. I think I'll look for another recipe that is similar but without limoncello. Thanks for your suggestions!

LIMONCELLO CHEESECAKE SQUARES (Giada De Laurentiis)

Ingredients:
Nonstick cooking spray
8 ounces purchased biscotti
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1 (12-ounce) container fresh whole milk ricotta, drained, at room temperature
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup limoncello liqueur*, store bought or homemade
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 large eggs, at room temperature

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray the bottom of a 9 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Finely grind the biscotti in a food processor. Add the melted butter and 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, and process until the crumbs are moistened.

Press the crumb mixture over the bottom (not the sides) of the prepared pan. Bake until the crust is golden, about 15 minutes. Cool the crust completely on a cooling rack.

Blend the ricotta in a clean food processor until smooth. Add the cream cheese and sugar and blend well, stopping the machine occasionally and scraping down the sides of the work bowl. Blend in the limoncello, vanilla, and remaining 2 tablespoons of lemon zest. Add the eggs one at a time, and pulse just until blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

Pour the cheese mixture over the crust in the pan. Place the baking pan in a large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the baking pan. Bake until the cheesecake is golden and the center of the cake moves slightly when the pan is gently shaken, about 1 hour (the cake will become firm when it is cold).

Transfer the cake to a rack; cool 1 hour. Refrigerate until the cheesecake is cold, at least 8 hours and up to 2 days. Cut the cake into squares and serve.

o

There are enough eggs...I think the Torino would work. Sounds very yummy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here