Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sols Honey Rolls - how big and how many?

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 25, 11 at 8:44

I have the dough rising now - what a lovely dough this is to work with! How big should the balls of dough be before they rise for the final time and get baked? And how many rolls should I plan to make out of it? 3 dozen? 4 dozen? I am pretty good with bread, but a novice at making rolls.

Thanks for any and all help on this!

Alexa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
I decided to wing it....

And I got 4 dozen rolls. Does that sound right?

Alexa

o
RE: Sols Honey Rolls - how big and how many?

Alexa that sounds right to me, and they rise up fluffy and high, my family is fond of the light and sweet white rolls.

I can get two dozen rolls on a half sheet pan, and I can get approximately 2 pans from a batch, depending on how big I make the rolls, once in a while I come up a couple short if I'm not paying attention to making them all the same size...

Annie

o

My roll recipe used 2 cups of milk and2 eggs....some butter and sugar.
And I get 3 dozen dinner rolls about the size of a hand ball...or 10 big sandwich buns, or 2 8 inch pans of sticky buns....
I use a different recipe for bagels, but I might get one loaf of a challa-like bread.....but the recipe would need more sugar.
Linda C

o

Alexa, I tried doing a search but couldn't bring the recipe up.
Would you mind posting Sol's roll recipe?

o

Here it is. Four dozen was perfect for my needs!

Alexa

Sol's Honey Rolls

1 Cup milk
1/2 Cup honey
1/2 Cup butter [1 stick]
2 Tsp salt
1 -2 tablespoons granulated sugar*
2 pkges. dry yeast
1/2 Cup warm water [110�-115�F]
2 large eggs lightly beaten
6- 6 1/2 cups All Purpose flour

Heat the milk, add butter and salt. Set aside while butter melts. Stir in the honey.
In another bowl, combine the warm water, yeast and sugar. Let it sit until yeast is completely dissolved, about 6-7 minutes.
Combine milk mixture with yeast mixture. And stir in the beaten eggs.
Beat in 4 cups flour. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft, but not sticky dough.
Place dough in greased bowl, turning to coat both sides. Cover and allow dough to rise 1 hour. Punch dough down, and allow to rise another hour.
Punch down again, and shape dough into rolls. Let it rise again 45 minutes to an hour or until doubled in volume. Preheat your oven to 375F and bake rolls for 25 minutes or until a deep golden brown. For a very soft crust, brush rolls with melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven.

Note: You could omit the sugar from this recipe altogether. I sometimes use about a teaspoon of the honey called for in the recipe to feed the yeast instead of the sugar.

o

Thanks so much Alexa.

I made 4 loaves of white bread yesterday....all at once.
The first time in quite a while that I made white.....the Honey Whole Wheat is our standard here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here