Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chocolate-Bacon-Peanut Bark

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 5, 09 at 8:41

Yep - I coundn't make this up. DS#1 found this and is begging me to make it so I guess we will give it a shot.

Alexa

Chocolate-Bacon-Peanut Bark
If you want to test the waters of bacon desserts, this recipe is for you. It's simple and illustrates the appeal of pairing salty, crunchy bacon with smooth, rich chocolate and earthy peanuts.

Makes 10 to 12 servings, depending on the size of the pieces

8 strips bacon

16 ounces semisweet chocolate (chunks or chips are fine)

1 cup unsalted peanuts

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon, turning several times, until browned and done, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Chop finely.

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

Add chocolate to a double boiler. If you don't have one, fill a pan with a couple of inches of water. Place a glass bowl over the pan, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water underneath. Once the water begins to boil, add the chocolate chips. Using a spatula, stir continuously, until smooth and creamy.

Stir in the bacon and peanuts. Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and spread to 3/8-inch thickness. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour. The bark should be hard and chilled.

Place bark on a cutting board and cut into pieces any size or shape you'd like. Serve at about room temperature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bacon desserts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chocolate-Bacon-Peanut Bark

Uh-oh, I'm in trouble. Tomatobob

o

oh my - Alexa - I just told Will and he is on the bandwagon, too! He LOVES bacon. If you do it first, let me know!

o

Ruh Ro!

I bet this is going to be the new chicken poop recipe for the CF. Those Cheeto thingies are so good!

Let us know how the bacon bark tastes. I quite happily will let you be the guinea pig on this one:-)

o

Oh I hope Woodie see this she is looking for a bacon treat for her GD who loves bacon!

o

I remember somone talking about chocolate covered bacon here. I think it was fair food in some part of the country. I'm thinking I might like this combo. I forgot about those cheeto things....they were a huge hit at the office last year.

David

o

Hmmm, maybe I should put bacon in my 5 min microwave choco mug cake....

o

Too funny, Caliloo! Please share your results and how DS#1 likes it. Although your recipe sounds better, I came across another recipe a couple of days ago for candied bacon fudge and linked it below. I think I could like this -- I bet my son would love it:)

Cathy in SWPA

Here is a link that might be useful: Candied Bacon Fudge

o

I remember reading last year that chocolate covered bacon "Pig candy" was all the rage at the chocolate show in NYC last year. Let us know how it turns out!
jo

o

When Mustangs, Peppi, Sheshebop and I met at that Tapas place in Grand Rapids last year, I bought a bar of dark chocolate with bacon bits.

Peppi liked it, I thought it was OK. I think Sherry didn't like it, but it didn't have any peanuts, maybe that would have made a difference!

I'll be waiting to hear how it is too. Post pictures, will you?

Annie

o

David, a friend told me they had it at the NC state fair this year. Something like $5 for half a piece of bacon, so she wasn't even tempted at that price.

o

I love the combination of salt and chocolate. That's probably what appeals to people about the bacon/chocolate. I'd try it, but I don't think I'd make it! I never tried the cheetos thing. I think I'll try that this year. As usual, I'm late to grab onto the trends! LOL!

o

Maybe these will go over a bit better?

Here is a link that might be useful: Crispy Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies

o

I just tried Mo's Bacon Bar last week. I'd been wondering about the chocolate/bacon thing, but it's rather pricey. I finally ponied up, and I will say it was worth trying for the novelty, but it wasn't good enough to make me want to buy more. Linked below is one site with a great opening line followed by a somewhat salty review ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mo's Bacon Bar

o

Where I work, my boss created her own version of bacon chocolate chip cookies. She sells them for $9.00/6. We used to bake them and then freeze them, but we couldn't keep up with the demand. We now sell them frozen/unbaked. People go crazy for them!

Shelley S.

o

I saw bacon-topped maple frosted long john donuts at a benefit breakfast buffet this summer. Just a strip of bacon pressed into the frosting. I was told they were the hottest thing. I declined to try one, even though I love both bacon and maple. But some who did went back for seconds. And thirds.

o

Does anyone have a tried and true bacon chocolate chip cookie recipe? I would try that in a minute.

o

I was going to post about our ChocoBacon tasted experience in Grand Rapids but see that Annie alread did. I love chocolate, I adore bacon so it was a must try. It was okay but my thought was why waste a good piece of bacon. It might be a different product at a fair where (I'm assuming) it would be prepared on the spot.

o

Just have to tell my experience from this weekend. I was eating a piece of chocolate when I walked in the kitchen while DH and kids were finishing breakfast. There was only one piece of bacon left and I didn't want to miss it, so I hurried and put it in my mouth along with the chocolate. It was delicious! I even commented to DH that I never would have thought that I would have liked chocolate covered bacon, but I might have to try it now. Don't think I'd like the addition of peanuts, though.

o

My, that was a 3-day wonder! Lots of interest from Dec 5-7,then silence. But I've been waiting for an opportunity, and a dinner party with a fresh ham as the main course this weekend is it. I'm wondering if I'll need a back-up dessert. I'll let you know what happens. Robert

o

I've made this and pretty dang good.

Bacon Candy

1 lb Bacon (not thick-cut)
1/4 cup Brown sugar
Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Slice bacon into 1/2 inch strips and dredge in brown sugar until thoroughly coated.

Crumple aluminum foil to allow for grease drainage and place it on a baking sheet. Lay out the bacon on this making sure not to overlap pieces.

Bake until crispy. Allow to cool and harden before serving.

**I bake mine on the broiler pan, so the grease can drip thru and turn bacon at least once.

o

Whoa, good thing I'd finished eating my snack before I clicked on this one. I don't like bacon that much but a combination of peanuts and chocolate is lethal to my discipline! :-)

Al

o

I agree, Glenda, I've also made that and it's pretty darned good. I liked it far better than the chocolate and bacon combo...

Peppi, Sherry and I tried the bacon chocolate bar way before this thread, but it wasn't so good any of us bought another one, at least I don't think so.

Annie

o

I made it for a dinner party for eight on Saturday. Instead of using unsalted peanuts, we used extra-large Virginia peanuts--very crunchy--and broke the whole nuts into halves, Did not chop the nuts.
We didn't tell anyone that the chocolate chunks we offered them after dinner contained bacon until after they had tasted it. No one said "bacon!" They just liked it. After we told them, some said they tasted and liked the bacon, others (I among them) thought that the bacon flavor should be stronger, maybe increasing the amount by 50%.
We served it with small bowls of good vanilla ice cream to give a milder flavor for balance. Also had some nice vintage port in small glasses.
I'll make this again, but not soon. It's super-easy to make. Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here