SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Low stress, healthy dinner for two

lpinkmountain
15 years ago

I have a friend coming over for dinner Sunday. Usually I don't stress about making dinners, but with working 70 hours a week and my house still being in quite a state of disarray, I really want to make something easy yet with a homey touch. We are not going out to eat because both of us prefer healthy food. Here's what I'm thinking but I could use some help.

Appetizer - store bought deli hummus with toasted pita chips, carrot and celery sticks

Some kind of wine

Dinner - crockpot chicken Ezekiel. I have made this before and I know how to make non-rubbery crockpot chicken. It is a chicken with tomato olive and italian spiced sauce. I like the idea of making this in the crockpot because I can do it ahead and the house will smell good.

Also roasted vegetables, and mixed greens topped with marinated chopped salad.

Dessert is what is puzzling me. I have had these apricots marinating in brandy forever that I would like to do something with, so I'm thinking to do a warm brandied fruit compote, but I don't know what to serve it with. Usually when I do this kind of thing I serve it topped with homeade vanilla pudding, but I don't think I will be able to pull that off, and the store bought stuff just doesn't taste "homey" enough for me, although with the strongly spiced fruit you might not be able to tell. Another option would be to buy an angel food cake and top it with this compote, but I have never had a dessert like that. Or make a SMALL type of cake, which I really don't have a recipe for, most of my cake recipes are huge and I don't want a bunch of cake around the house, it just molds on me. Plus it's not the healthiest thing. Another option would be angelfood cake with my homeade strawberry preserves, but I've never served that either so I don't know if it would be any good. Maybe I could doll up the preserves somehow? Or I could just try and find some good biscotti or cookies at the Farm Market. I dunno, advice appreciated. Something relatively healthy/light, but fun. I could go in another direction too. I thought about just apples drizzled with caramel and maybe store bought biscotti and coffee with hazelnut liqueur. I am up to baking a little cake, but not cookies or anything that requires a lot of dishes for clean up or a lot of shaping and fussing.

Also what kind of wine to serve?

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor