SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettyd_z7_va

Question on adding brown sugar to pie crust??

bettyd_z7_va
10 years ago

I made the pineapple tartlets recipe posted on the cookie thread by aliceinmd & everyone loved them....except, to me, the piecrust used for the shells seemed a little bland & dry. (I'm not a piecrust person. Usually leave the crust on the plate when eating a slice of pie.)

I want to make a double recipe for a party Saturday & would really love to whisk 3-4 tablespoons of brown sugar into the yogurt before mixing it with the piecrust.

My question is, would the brown sugar change the structure of the pie crust enough to cause it to melt, stick to the pan or not hold its form?

For a double batch it would be 1 cup plain (NOT non-fat preferred) yogurt with 3-4 tablespoons of brown sugar whisked in, then mixed with 2 boxes of piecrust mix (Makes 2 crusts) until moistened (used Betty Crocker). Form into 30 1"balls. (Flouring your hands lightly can help keep mixture from sticking to your hands.) Press into ungreased mini muffin pan. (I used a wooden dowel thingie from Pampered Chef to form balls into crusts in pan.) Sweet!

Add filling & bake.

The filling (I will double this, also)

1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
8 1/4 oz can of crushed pineapple, undrained (I used packed in juice)
1/4 cup chopped red candied cherries
1/4 cup chopped green candied cherries
1 tbls butter
1/4 tsp finely shredded orange or lemon peel
1 beaten egg yolk

Combine sugar & cornstarch in saucepan. Stir in undrained crushed pineapple, cherries & butter.
Cook & stir over medium heat until thickened & bubbly. Stir in peel. Gradually stir this mixture into the beaten egg yolk & mix thoroughly. Spoon 2 tsp of fruit mixture into each crust-lined muffin cup.

I'm not an experienced baker, so I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,
Betty

Comments (2)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals