Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yeast and Rising in the Refrigerator!

Posted by carik1945 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 25, 11 at 8:34

1. I have bulk yeast. Is one envelope of yeast equal to one tablespoon?
2. What would happen if I double the yeast by accident?
3. Can refrigerator dough be left in there for two whole days? Should it be punched down and returned to the fridge the first day or left as is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yeast and Rising in the Refrigerator!

1 envelope - 2 1/4 tsps bulk yeast

I have no idea what happens when one doubles the yeast - that is one of the few mistakes I haven't made LOL!

I would definitely punch it down and put it back in the fridge.

Hope that helps!

Alexa

o

I can only answer a question or two.

One packet of yeast is 2 1/4 tsp.

Doubling the yeast.....hmmmm I think it would grow fast as blazes, and maybe over-proof. Keeping it refrigerated would slow down the process. I would think it would taste overly-yeasty.

I'm pretty sure dough can be left for 2 days, punched down each day, and let rise again, till you're ready to use it.

o

I just made bagels this morning. It was a 2 day recipe (make the dough yesterday, refrigerate, bake today). The recipe said you could keep the uncooked bagel dough in the frig for up to 2 days.

Don't know a thing about doubling the yeast.

I agree with the others. 1 packet of yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons.

o

In a few hours I'll tell you what doubling the yeast does, as I've just made that mistake but decided to go ahead with the bread anyway.

This is emergency bread - sister in law forgot to get baguettes for dinner tonight, so I was asked to make some from whatever is available her at my mother in law's home.

Everything is "off" from my usual bread making. We have AP flour not bread flour. Regular salt not kosher salt. A Kitchen Aid not a Magic Mill. Yeast packets of unknown age, though it did proof okay. No stone in the oven, no sprayer for water, electric oven not gas.

But that's what makes cooking on trips fun. Even simple stuff is a mini adventure.

o

What kind of yeast are you using? Standard old fashioned active dry yeast works best for a long, slow rise in the 'fridge. Sourdough is sublime when treated this way. Rapid rise yeast is more of a 'live fast and die young' thing. You can still use it for a refrigerated rise, so don't panic if that's what you have--it'll still work.

Doubling the yeast can result in overproofing and an overly yeasty, beery flavor. Rising in the fridge can mitigate this somewhat, but if I have to choose, I'd rather underdose the yeast than overdose the yeast. :-)

You can certainly leave dough in the 'fridge for two days, either way. Just deflate it when it gets to be about double or so.

When you deflate the dough, what you're doing is redistributing the nutrients in it so that the yeast beasties can find more food to eat. You will find that a long, slow, cold rise adds complexity to the flavor of the finished bread.

Happy Baking!
Cj

o

I used a Tablespoon of yeast to substitute for a packet, and it seemed to work. So it was not double, but it was over the amount specified (one packet) I am wondering how far a person can go with yeast!!

Another question: what is the difference between rapid rise yeast and regular yeast?

o

I've got a recipe for "60 minute rolls" that uses a 1/4 cup of yeast.
Yeah, it's FAST!

They are not overly yeasty in flavor, but boy do you have to hurry when shaping. This is not a recipe I'd leave in the fridge, although I'm sure you could.

It's really designed to be a quick one (sorry I didn't see your post earlier, John....how did your bread turn out?).

Decent rolls, burger buns, etc. in a pinch.

Deanna

o

Carik1945, the difference between Instant (rapid rise) and active dry is that instant has a few more viable yeast cells in it, and so works faster than active dry. Active Dry needs to be dissolved in water first and recipes usually call for a bit more than when you're using instant. Instant, or Rapid Rise can be added dry to the flour, no dissolving with water needed. I've forgotten the forumla for substituting one for another--if I'm using instant yeast in a recipe that calls for Active dry, I just use a little less. I like the Active Dry if I'm doing a long, slow rise in the fridge, but I'll be honest--it's just my personal preference. There have been actual debates amongst bakers as to which is better or if there's any difference at all! :-) If I was using instant, I'd just cut back a bit and watch it. Bread is a lot more forgiving than people give it credit for. I wouldn't stress about it--just bake and be happy. :-)

Cj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here