SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whgille

Do you have a favorite appetizer/side thas has veggies?

whgille
11 years ago

I am invited for a New Year's eve party and New Year's Day party. They requested for the one 3 veggie dishes. For the one that is the day an appetizer Southern style that has veggies.
Can you give me some ideas? Thank you in advance...

Silvia

Comments (45)

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

Two that come to mind would be Fried Green Tomatoes and Zucchini Corn Fritters. Either can be made ahead and eaten cold.

I use an egg wash for the green tomato slices and dip them in a cornmeal & flour mixture. You could season with S&P or a little Cajun seasoning. Fry in canola oil.

If the zucchini fritters sound good to you let me know. I could email you a recipe later today. The ones I make are like small pancakes and have parmesan and garlic in them. They are actually a great finger food.

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Teresa, the two dishes sound good for the day party, they will serve dishes like pork, black eye peas, collards. I can do fried green tomatoes or the zucchini fritters...

For the night party I have to come up with elegant sort of dishes since they are making very elaborate and fancy meats.
    I am also bringing desserts that I already picked, for the night party I am making a fancy looking cake and for the day party I am making a red lime pie.

Silvia

• Related Discussions

Suggestions for a side & appetizer

Q

Comments (6)
    This is my current favorite dressing for spinach salad. I've been putting it over plain spinach, but you could certainly add a few strawberries to the salad, and or pine nuts, sunflower seeds, sliced almonds. Good luck - the rest of the meal sounds wonderful! ****************************************************** Strawberry Balsamic Dressing 1 cup of fresh hulled strawberries 3 tablespoon of canola oil (or other flavor neutral oil) 1-2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar (to taste) 1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste depending on the sweetness of the strawberries) Cracked black pepper Salt Cut the strawberries into chunks and mix with the sugar. Let sit for about 15 minutes until they are very juicy. Put the macerated strawberries into a blender with the balsamic. Blend until smooth. Add the oil and blend for a few seconds until completely emulsified. Add cracked black pepper and salt to taste. ************************************************************* I also have been making the following for an appetizer for every get together for the last couple of weeks: Asparagus Wrapped in Crisp Prosciutto with Balsamic glaze Ingredients: ½ cup balsamic 1 tbsp honey 1 tablespoon olive oil 16 spears fresh asparagus, trimmed 16 slices prosciutto Coarse salt and cracked pepper Directions: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat with olive oil. Put balsamic in small non-reactive sauce pan. Add honey and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 min or so until reduced by about half and it is thick and syrupy. Wrap one slice of prosciutto around each asparagus spear, starting at the bottom, and spiraling up to the tip. Place the wrapped spears on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Bake for 5 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove, and shake the pan back and forth to roll the spears over. Return to the oven for another 5-7 minutes, or until asparagus is tender, and prosciutto is crisp. Drizzle balsamic glaze over the spears and serve immediately
    ...See More

What are your favorite finger foods and appetizers?

Q

Comments (20)
    Love those pigs in a blanket things. I buy them from Sam's. I also like stuffed mushrooms--can't get much easier than these, but they don't travel well; they get soggy. They're very addictive. STUFFED MUSHROOMS 42 large fresh mushrooms 1 lb. mild sausage* 1 - 8 oz. cream cheese, softened 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes *I use a medium lb. of Jimmy Dean sausage and leave out the pepper flakes. Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Take out the stems. Cook sausage until crumbly and drain. Stir in cream cheese and pepper flakes, if using. Spoon into mushrooms. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
    ...See More

Menu, again. Favorite summery appetizer that does not involve cheese.

Q

Comments (33)
    OMG i'd love that, I love love artichokes, and lemon. Thx! BTW, someone wanted this recipe for Grilled Romaine Salad. I make it exactly as is... yes it has a ton of herbs. It is lovely. Grilled Romaine Salad serves 6 3 heads romaine lettuce 1 bunch radishes, sliced crumbled blue cheese 1⁄4 cup crème fraiche or sour cream 1⁄4 cup buttermilk 2 tablespoons capers, chopped 1⁄2 cup chopped herbs (parsley, dill, tarragon, chives) 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic salt and pepper To make the dressing: whisk together all the ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside. Heat the grill. Prepare the romaine by trimming and cutting into quarters. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and grill a few minutes; until slightly charred on all sides. Remove to a platter Immediately drizzle dressing over the lettuce. Top with crumbled blue cheese and radishes to serve.
    ...See More

Ideas for a cheese platter or your favorite appetizer

Q

Comments (19)
    Gorgeous plating with the honey HU+#'s !! As a guest simple is better. As a host I go overboard but I've hosted so many events over the years. Large and small. I do a big elevated board down my table for grazing. Prepped ahead platters so I can re-fresh easily... I think visiting your cheese shop would be not only fun for you but appreciated by your friends and host. Three or four cheeses, cornichons, olives, nuts. From my experience cheese shops are very friendly and accommodating making suggestions. They should have crackers, etc. If I include a cured meat I prefer to just get a small amount sliced paper thin. Most cheese mongers have charcuterie. For easy transport, choose a platter that will hold a few small containers in the middle for nibbles. Cheeses on one side with maybe some grapes, cherry tomatoes. I like to separate/arrange the crackers on the other side away from the moisture of the cheese. Crackers get soggy rather quickly if prepped ahead stacked in rows touching the cheese. I'm guessing the host has a plan in place already so no need to go overboard. A small Artisanal cheese tasting is always appreciated since we don't often splurge on them ourselves at home. Humbolt Fog, (a personal favorite), Goat Gouda, a mild creamy gorgonzola, a soft style goat log...rolled in herbs. Variety. Or any recommended above. What I don't really like as a host is a packaged app or bag of things I need to heat or find another tray or something sloppy in a foil tray plopped on my serving table. (unless it is a good friend that has called ahead and I'm prepped and expecting it)
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    11 years ago

Southern vegetables? Wow, that makes it a little harder for me, but cornbread salad came first to mind, with fresh tomatoes and greens and chunks of toasted cornbread.

I have a tomato and zucchini gratin that all of Elery's family loves, but I'm not sure it's typically "southern".

Gratin of Zucchini & Tomatoes

From Eating Well: Summer 2003

4 servings

Ingredients

�3 cloves garlic, crushed
    �2/3 cup fresh basil leaves
    �1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
    �2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, divided
    �1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia
    �3 large ripe tomatoes, diced
    �1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
    �1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    �3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    �3 medium zucchini, (about 1 3/4 pounds total), sliced on the bias about 1/4 inch thick
    �Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    �3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation
    1.Preheat oven to 400�F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish (or similar gratin dish) with cooking spray.
    2.Place garlic, basil and thyme on your chopping board; mince well. Spread half the breadcrumbs evenly in the prepared baking dish. Strew onion over the breadcrumbs. Distribute half the diced tomato over the onion, then sprinkle with half the garlic-herb mixture. Sprinkle with vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
    3.Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a third of the zucchini; you want it to saut�, not stew, so don't crowd it. Saut�, turning the pieces once, until golden and not quite tender, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side. When the slices are done, use a fork to transfer them to the gratin, overlapping the slices. Cook the remaining zucchini in two batches, each time using 2 teaspoons oil. Strew the remaining tomatoes and garlic-herb mixture over the zucchini. Season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and a grinding of pepper. Toss the remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle over the gratin.
    4.Bake the gratin until bubbly hot, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with Parmesan.

Per serving : 302 Calories; 15 g Fat; 3 g Sat; 9 g Mono; 7 mg Cholesterol; 31 g Carbohydrates; 12 g Protein; 7 g Fiber; 514 mg Sodium; 885 mg Potassium

2 Carbohydrate Serving

I make this a lot in the summer when I have fresh tomatoes and an overload of zucchini.

Annie

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Annie for the recipes, the cornbread salad sounds good since I can make a fresh bread and I have tomatoes and greens from the garden...
    The only dish that require to be Southern is for the New Years day party, the New Years Eve party I can make any 3 veggie dishes that I want and they said that if it is from the garden even better. For the night party a casserole like yours sound good as one of the 3 dishes.

Silvia

• momj47
    11 years ago

It looks like you will already have black-eyed peas, a necessity for New Years, but here's another recipe using them. Quick and tasty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black eyed pea dip

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Well, carp, sorry about all those weird symbols, it didn't look like that when I previewed it! Ugh. I wish Gardenweb would fix that...

Silvia, you are one party girl, LOL.

Anne (who is going to no New Year's Party, Eve or otherwise)

• angelaid
    11 years ago

First thing that came to mind was collard greens.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

I think of Corn Pudding as a Southern-style vegetable dish:

Corn Pudding

2 cups fresh corn, cut off the cob - or good quality frozen corns works well too
    1 cup milk
    2 TB butter
    salt and white pepper to taste
    2 TB flour
    3 eggs, beaten

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased casserole dish. Place dish in a larger pan filled with hot water and bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife stuck into the center comes out clean.

This was also listed in the vegetable section of my favorite hometown church cookbook:

Super Corn Bread

2 eggs
    1 c. cream-style corn
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup sour cream

Mix well and add:

1 cup corn meal
    1 1/2 t. salt
    1 TB baking powder

Pour into a shallow baking dish and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

Teresa

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Momj47 - Thank you for the black eye pea recipe. The friend that is hosting the party believe in the dishes for good luck for the new year and he is a very good cook, last year the food was excellent!

Annie - I have the believe that you only live once! Having parties in my house and attending other friends parties makes the life more interesting and happier.
    Don't worry about the symbols.:) I will figure it out. I am going to be put to a test because to the 2 parties that I am going, they are the true chefs, while I am the apprentice,lol. I am only popular because of the garden veggies...

Angelaid - Thank you for your idea, but someone always bring every year the collards to the daytime party.

Teresa nc - Thank you for your suggestions about the corn dishes, I will look into that because I know that most people likes corn.

Last year I made a pumpkin roll, and because I don't like to do repeats, this is a no-no

{{gwi:114125}}

Silvia

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

Well, black-eyed peas are good luck for most of the country. Growing up in Denver, green chilies were the good luck veggie. We will be eating them this New Years Day. We need the luck!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Silvia, I owned a bar/restaurant for way too many years to go out on New Year's Eve. Now I can just stay home, and it seems like a break, instead of working like crazy and staying open an extra two hours, making it a longer shift.

We used to have family parties but one daughter works in a nursing home, so she usually works, it's double time. My other daughter works in a hospital, also double time. MY SIL is a police office, that's triple time for him! LOL, New Year's Eve/Day is just a financial windfall for my family, while other people party!

Annie

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beachlily - That is so interesting how different people believe in different ways to bring luck. I never knew that chilies were a good luck veggie. We all need good luck for the coming year!

Annie - No wonder you are such a great cook! having all that experience and I am sure being at home is a nice break for you.

Thanks to family like yours we have a better world, we need people taking care of others in hospitals, nursing homes and watching the safety at the streets. The silent heroes should be celebrated for the sacrifices that they are making.

I am glad that the parties that I am going are only walking distance so it is safe to go and comeback.

Silvia

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I like yellow squash casserole, made with a tube of crushed Ritz crackers, eggs, and plenty of cheddar, etc.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I second the corn pudding as a side but for an appy, I would do endive with a bleu cheese pecan stuffing. Or a corn relish if it needs to be Southern. But you could use Clemson blue cheese...

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

For a group, I make the corn pudding in muffin pans. Fried corn is always well received when I serve it.

FRIED CORN 1 stick butter
    1 (2 pound) bag frozen Silver Queen corn, defrosted
    5 tablespoons honey (add 5 tbls then taste before adding more)
    2/3 cup heavy cream
    Salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter. When butter is foamy add the corn stirring to coat with the butter. Cook stirring frequently for 1 minute.

Add honey and cook for 2 minutes more. Increase heat to high and add heavy cream-continue to stir so corn won't stick to pan. Add salt and pepper.

Cook corn until most all of the cream has absorbed and is slightly caramelized and golden, about 5 minutes more.

Serve hot.

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just came back from Bonefish and I had the bang-bang shrimp, 2 martinis that were not that good and a grilled trout with a side of asparagus and spaguetti squash...
    So, Soonergrandmom, the yellow squash might be me a good idea. Thank you for your input.

Bumblebeez - That sounds fancy and that is what I want for the night party. I saw a recipe with arugula, flat bread, roasted red peppers and boursin cheese. Your recipe is probably easier to do.

Cathy - Thank you for taking the time to give me your recipe, sounds like a very good one to make, it is on my list of recipes to try.

Great ideas everybody!

Silvia

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

For the evening party:

Lux Peas and Celery

4 T. butter
    1 C bias cut celery
    2 3 oz. jars sliced mushrooms, drained (I use fresh sliced mushrooms & saute')
    4 T. finely chopped onion
    4 T. pimiento, chopped
    1 tsp. salt
    dash ground pepper
    2 10 0z. packages petite peas, cooked and drained

Melt butter in skillet. Add next 6 ingredients. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently until celery is crisp done. About 5 -7 min. Add peas. Heat just till hot. (I prepare the day before and just reheat.)

Spinach Artichoke Bake

2 10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach
    1/ C butter
    1/2 C finely chopped onion
    1 14 1/2 oz. can artichoke hearts quartered and drained
    1 16 oz. carton sour cream
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/2 C. freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Cook Spinach-drain well pressing with paper towel. Melt butter in large skillet. Add onion cook till tender. Gently stir in spinach and artichokes and next three ingredients. Stir in 1/4 C parmesan. Spoon in lightly greased casserole top with remaining cheese. Bake 350 25 - 30 min. 6 servings.

I'm planning on making this one next week for a dinner party:

Carrots and Celery with Pecans

2 1/2 C. water - 1/4 tsp salt
    4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
    6 sstalks celery, sliced diagonally
    1 C. chopped pecans
    1/2 tsp. dried whole dill weed
    1/4 C. butter, melted

Combine water with salt. Bring to boil. Add carrots, cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add celery. Cover and simmer additional 5 minutes or until celery is crisp tender. Drain well. Saute' in melted butter with pecans.

They are all T & T recipes. The peas are my DD favorite vegetable and they're so holiday looking, too.

This post was edited by georgysmom on Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 12:05

• ann_t
    11 years ago

These are good. Artichoke Fritters

Lori - All That Splatters
    vegetable oil
    1 (18-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3 scallions, chopped
    1/4 cup milk
    1 large egg, beaten
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 lemon, to squeeze over fritters
    Kosher salt, to sprinkle

Lemon Cream, recipe follows, optional

Pour 3 inches of vegetable oil into a heavy bottomed pot and place over medium heat until a bread cube placed in the oil browns within 1 minute.

Coarsely chop the artichokes (or alternatively crush by hand) and put them in a large mixing bowl. Add the garlic and scallions, milk, egg, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a separate bowl and quickly mix the dry ingredients into the artichoke mix.

Drop the fritters by the heaping tablespoonful into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Work in batches until all the batter is used. Keep warm in a low oven until ready to serve. Immediately before serving, squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over all and hit with a bit of kosher salt. Serve with a dollop of Lemon Cream on top, if desired.

Lemon Cream:

1 cup sour cream
    1 lemon, juice
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

• John Liu
    11 years ago

I find that fried, deep fried, and roasted veggies don't travel well. By the time you get there and your dishes are unpacked and transferred to serving platters, they are cold, soggy, limp, oily and sad. When you reheat them, they are even sadder. If you can prepare them on the spot, awesome, otherwise I'd avoid fritters and similar.

For a fancy meal, veggie sides that have to travel and still look good, how about:

Creamed spinach. With brie cheese, mushrooms and almonds in Grand Marnier or Amaretto sauce. If they are serving steak or roast beef, this would go great. Classic steakhouse combo - cow and creamed spinach.

Creamed corn. Fresh corn, cream cheese, heavy cream, the pulp from the corn cob, and white pepper not black, to keep the pale appearance. You can make it from canned or frozen corn too, just run a bit of the corn through a food processor to pulp it up and create thickness.

Carmelized carrots. I cook carrot in butter and dark beer, then drain off most of the liquid, add sugar and cook until the sugar melts and carmelizes on the carrots.

These dishes can be packed, transported, and reheated without ill effect. Bring an ounce of Grand Marnier, Amaretto, or cream to "refresh" then flavour right before service, and sprinkle some minced chives on the corn.

Is potato a vegetable? I love scalloped potatoes. Something more eclectic is okay? Spanokopita is great fun. Ratatouille too.

This post was edited by johnliu on Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 22:06

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

Oops. on the Lux peas recipe I forgot the 2 10 0z. pkg. of petite peas, cooked and drained. Proof read the other recipes and they are fine. I was also thinking you could do stuffed tomatoes...stuffed with a creamed spinach and topped with buttered bread crumbs or Maque choux using frozen corn kernels.

This post was edited by georgysmom on Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 12:43

• dlynn2
    11 years ago

I was going to suggest a Maque Choux recipe, very southern (Cajun) and best when made ahead. There are lots of recipes on the internet for this, and most are good.

We love this artichoke recipe of my Aunt's. It tastes a lot like stuffed artichokes, but is a lot easier to make. Sometimes I quadruple this recipe and serve it as a casserole.

Artichoke Squares

1 can artichoke hearts
    4 cloves garlic
    1/2 cup parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 cup Italian bread crumbs
    1 egg

Drain artichoke hearts and reserve liquid in bowl. Mash hearts and add all ingredients except egg. Mix egg with artichoke liquid and then pour into other ingredients. Spray Pam in pan, spread ingredients in pan and sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs.
    Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. use 8" square pan. Cool before cutting. Best when made a day ahead.

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh what a great food ideas to wake up and see while I am having my coffee. Thank you All, you guys are the best! Always willing to share.

Georgysmom - Dishes sound so good and easy to make, have the ingredients already. Thanks.

Ann - Thank you for your yummy recipe! I can make those anytime for a party. Those fried artichokes I want to eat them now! lol

Johnliu - Thank you for your advice, that is something that I had not consider it before. The 2 parties are within a walking distance from the house but you are right, the dishes are going to stand for a period of time and I don't like to bother the host and get in the kitchen while they are busy...
    The dishes that are creamed sounds like a good choice for the evening meal and in that crowd, everyone drinks more than me, they will enjoy the spirited dishes,lol. I was also thinking of the spanakopita, always looks nice. And yes for the evening meal they are serving beef, for the daytime they are serving pork. They are different hosts, different houses, same area close to my house.

Dlynn - Thank you for your idea, I will look into the Maque Choux recipe, the crowd also loves spicy food and I will look into the recipe, I don't think I ever had before.
    The artichoke squares are good that I can make the day ahead.

Silvia

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

Silvia, you will like the Maque choux. It is easy, good, and a nice colorful dish.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

georgysmom, you can now edit your posts, so if you want to add peas to the recipe, just click on edit on the right side of your post, edit and click on 'make changes' - I think that's what it says. Then the recipe will be correct for others who may not see your correction in the following post.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

Look up blooming onions on youtube.

Great impressive party food.

dcarch

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

Thanks olychick. That was great! I took care of it.

Sylvia, If you would like a T and T recipe for Maque Choux:

4 Cups frozen corn kernels (6 ears)
    2 bacon strips
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 large green pepper seeded and chopped
    2 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    1 tsp. sugar
    1/2 C. half and half
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp pepper

Saute' bacon crisp, drain and crumble. Add onion and green pepper to bacon fat. Cook 5 min. Add tomatoes, sprinkle with sugar. Cook 3 minutes. Stir in corn and cream. Cook and stir occ. 10 min. Add salt and pepper. Sprinkle with bacon. (for a little extra zip, can add a jalapeño pepper) When having company, I do the first part of the recipe and just add the corn and cream and top with bacon bits at the last minute. So easy.

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Georgysmom for helping me out, and yes the corn Maque Choux sounds like a winner, who doesn't like corn? and is easy to make. I like your recipe better than others that I saw because it has bacon for extra flavor and the tomatoes that I have in my garden now. I will add the jalapeno.

Dcarch - thank you for your idea, that blooming onion for sure looks impressive!. I think it requires the deep fryer that for now I don't have. I will have to learn the secrets of deep frying one day :)

Silvia

• arabellamiller
    11 years ago

How nice! I love a party that I'm not hosting. :)

I'd also recommend staying away from the heavily fried stuff, particularly anything deep fried. It's a personal preference, but I like my veggie sides to be light.

You have lots of great suggestions from which to chose, and after seeing your past posts I'm certain whatever you make will be delicious, but here are a few more:

Moroccan Carrot salad (I love this one, and I make it in my Actifry with just a bit of coconut oil instead of olive)
    1 kg carrots
    80 ml olive oil, plus extra for finishing
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 tsp caster sugar
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    2 medium green chillies, finely chopped � I�ve used red ones
    1 spring onion, finely chopped
    1/8 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    3/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp sweet paprika
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tbsp white wine vinegar
    1 tbsp chopped preserved lemon skin
    40 g chopped fresh coriander, plus extra to garnish
    120 ml Greek yoghurt, optional
    Peel the carrots and cut them, depending on their size, into cylinders or semi circles 1cm thick; all pieces should end up roughly the same size. Place in a large saucepan and cover with salted water. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until tender but still crunchy. Drain in a colander and leave to dry out.
    Heat the oil in a large pan and saut� the onion for 12 minutes on a medium heat until soft and slightly brown. Add the cooked carrots to the onions, followed by all the remaining ingredients, apart from the fresh coriander and yoghurt. Remove from the heat. Season liberally with salt, stir well and leave to cool.
    Before serving, stir in the coriander, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Optional: serve with a few dollops of yoghurt.

My other go-to veg side is to layer roasted vegetables in a trifle bowl. I start with raw spinach, then add roasted beets, cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant... really anything I have. The layers look very pretty and you can top with some walnuts and goat cheese, or serve the nuts and cheese on the side with a light vinagrette for guests to add on their own. I stay away from dairy and I don't like my salad pre-dressed, so I always serve this way.

And I'll post a link to Crispy baked parm green beans. I haven't made this yet, but it's on my to try list for the Actifry.

Enjoy!
    AM

Here is a link that might be useful: parm green beans

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Arabellamiller - Thank you for your wonderful input and your recipes. My head is spinning with all the great ideas from the talented cooks from the forum. I always thought more heads think better than one...And you have thought me a new thing, I had to look about the Actifry, very interesting, I will learn more about it.

I like the idea of the Moroccan carrot salad with all the flavor of the spices. And the salad probably looks pretty and fancy.

And I agree with you, it is very relaxing to attend a party when I am not hosting, especially the night one is going to have a good amount of people.:)

Silvia

• dlynn2
    11 years ago

We brought Maque Choux to a Thanksgiving Dinner this year with several families that had never had it before, and everyone raved about it. It is a colorful, delicious, and easy dish. I use cayenne pepper instead of the jalapeno for the heat.
    I always use fresh corn cut right off the cob. This time when making it I was using fresh corn, but decided I needed to make just a bit more so I added a couple of cans of corn. The canned corn really didn't change the flavor, so next time I think I'll try using all canned corn.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

dlynn, a question about the artichoke squares. The directions say after mashing artichoke to add remaining ingredients except egg. My query concerning later on when the directions say to sprinkle cheese and breadcrumbs on top. So do I mix the listed 1/2 cup cheese and 1 cup bread crumbs in the mixture, then at the last sprinkle additional cheee and bread crumbs on top. I want to make this and don't want to screw it up. TIA.

Artichoke Squares

1 can artichoke hearts
    4 cloves garlic
    1/2 cup parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 cup Italian bread crumbs
    1 egg

Drain artichoke hearts and reserve liquid in bowl. Mash hearts and add all ingredients except egg. Mix egg with artichoke liquid and then pour into other ingredients. Spray Pam in pan, spread ingredients in pan and sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs.
    Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. use 8" square pan. Cool before cutting. Best when made a day ahead.

• dlynn2
    11 years ago

Yes, sprinkle a little additional cheese and breadcrumbs on top. Sometimes I do this, sometimes I don't. I think it looks better if you do. Don't sprinkle too much.

I love eating this raw before adding the egg. I wouldn't serve it this way, but it sure is delicious. Kind of like the savory version of cookie dough :)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the clarification, dlynn.

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Happy New Year!!!

Thank you to all the wonderful posters that helped me with my veggie dishes to ring the new year. It was all success!

I made a chocolate cake with hazelnuts

Kale pie that was cut in small pieces like spanakopita, it was a hit and a breezy to make.

Roasted purple and orange sweet potatoes, carrots with a Moroccan dressing. Purple sweet potatoes were liked by everyone, and they kept saying What are those purple things?

The corn Maque dish was so good! I made the one with tomatoes and bacon.

I made a huge salad in a giant punch bowl, dressing on the side, watermelon radishes, another thing that they were asking, heirloom tomatoes.

After the meal, a lot of people said that they would like to be vegetarians in the future,lol.

Again thank you to all of you that helped me. Today I am so full from last night and I will be doing another veggie appetizer and dessert. Till later....

Silvia

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Everything looks delicious, including that yummy cake and I am most intrigued by those radishes! I'll have to look (or plant) for those.

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

You outdid yourself. Everything looks beautiful! Would love the kale pie recipe if you get a chance.

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Bumblebeez.

Thank you Georgysmom. Here is the kale recipe:

Kale and feta pie

- 2 bunches of kale
    - 1 bunch of green onion
    - 1 package of phyllo dough
    - 1 pound of crumbled feta cheese
    - 1 egg
    - dried or fresh dill
    - 1/4 cup of sour cream
    - olive oil

1- Chop kale leaves, stripping them from stems.
    2- Quickly blanch kale in boiling water.
    3- Finely chop green onions and sauteed in olive oil.
    4- Add sauteed green onions, kale, feta cheese, dill to
    taste, egg, sour cream and feta cheese to bowl.
    5- Mix to incorporate all ingredients.
    6- Grease a 9x17 baking dish.
    7- Layer 4 pieces of phyllo dough on the bottom of the pan, coating each layer lightly with olive oil.
    8- Pour kale mixture on top of phyllo.
    9- Layer 4 more pieces of phyllo on top of mixture, coat top with oil.
    10- Bake in a 400 degree oven until top is browned, in my oven it was 20 minutes.

And for the lunch party today, I made a phyllo dough pizza because I had the leftover dough and tomatoes from the garden, it was really good and was served as an appetizer and went fast.

Also made a red lime pie with the red limes from my garden.

Picked the limes this morning

Made the pie, it was so well received and they ate all! The combination of the coconut crust with the flavor of the red limes went really well.

Silvia

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

Thanks for the recipe Sylvia. Your goodies for the lunch party look great. I don't know what you mean by this "apprentice" stuff. Your friends must be hard pressed to keep up with you.

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Georgysmom - Thank you for your kind words. When I took the pizza, it was served as an appetizer and quickly they finished,lol. When they had the lime pie, one of the guests that cut the first piece said " If you made this pie, I am going to marry you!" lol. I love the taste of the limes and the coconut crust, but when I was covering it got a little bit damage so instead of serving with the coconut ice cream and salt, I put a meringue on top and it was good.

I am including the recipe just in case that you want to try...

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: lime pie

• party_music50
    11 years ago

Wow, I've never heard of red limes -- they're beautiful! Everything looks luscious and it's very cool that you introduced everyone to some unusual colors and varieties of vegetables! Wish I could have been there. I'd love to try those watermelon radishes. :)

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Party music, I love to introduce new vegetables and fruits to my friends. I always thought that the colors in a dish makes all the difference and they are so versatile, sometimes you just have to grow them yourself...

Red limes are my favorite citrus, I will be making some margaritas this weekend. The watermelon radishes were liked so much that I gave them more and also the seeds for planting them in the gardens. This morning they brought back a pan that I forgot in their house and I sent them with very colorful lettuce and carrots, the smile on their faces makes it all worth it...

Silvia

• momj47
    11 years ago

That looks terrific. Glad it turned out so well.

Happy New Year

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

WOW! That recipe sounds so good. I'm having a dinner party Friday night and would love to make it but alas, I've finished my grocery shopping and don't think I have time to run out and get the ingredients. I've been going round and round about dessert, finally settled on a cheesecake only because I love cheesecake and it's so easy, but my cheesecake is so big and there would be so much left over and I would eat it all so I opted for a pumpkin roll because that's so easy, too and should be pretty much gone in one evening. Oh if I only had more will power. LOL I'm saving that lime pie recipe for future use. Now I'm going round and round about the veggie side. I was planning on having the carrots and celery with pecans because it would go so nice with Loin of pork roast but your picture of the moque choux reminded me just how colorful it is. Decisions, decisions.

• compumom
    11 years ago

Ahem, Whgille-- Are there any homes for sale on your block because I want to be your neighbor too! :D
    Those dishes look terrific and by the sounds of it, your garden is bursting with unique goodies to share!

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Momj, Happy New cooking Year to you too!

Georgysmom, when I was at the party, people asked me if it was the lime pie and heirloom recipe, and I said no that I will give to them, it is worth the try.
    And I did the corn recipe like you said, I cooked the corn and the last minute I put the bacon and I use milk instead of the half and half.
    If you make the pumpkin roll, it will be eaten fast!lol.

Compumom, lol, yes! come on over. I have small garden but it is full of veggies, love to share my garden and my experimental cooking.:)

A lot of greens

Red limes

Silvia

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022