Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steak for boy scouts

Posted by Elba1 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 7:51

Hi folks, tomorrow night, my son & I need to shop for the monthly boy scout campout. I haven't done this in a long time; the regulars aren't available. Anyway, all my son told me so far is they picked steak this time for Saturday night. (They campout every month all year from Fri night to Sun am - bring their own dinner Fri night to eat as they are setting up camp.) I don't know how many are going yet, but will have that info before we shop. They have made simple turkey dinners, etc, so they know what they are doing. He didn't tell me the sides yet either, guessing potatoes, then another veggie they probably won't eat lol. We have to buy it before they have collected the money. I don't buy steak very often.
MY QUESTION IS: what variety of steak for this would be the best value, and how many oz per person? They do eat 3 meals/day & bring trail mix, etc, so they need a decent but not huge amount. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steak for boy scouts

I don't know if this would work for a camp-out, but when I want steak for a crowd, I cook flank steak. I marinate it overnight in a homemade teriyaki type sauce then grill it, let it rest and slice across the grain. It's very flavorful and tender, easy to eat. Since there is a thicker end, there is a portion that can be more well done or rarer to meet preferences. It serves quite a few, depending on the size.

this is an alternate marinade to teriyaki that is also good:

Here is a link that might be useful: flank steak marinade

o

Do you get Tri-Tip in your part of the world? This is a popular cut here in CA. I recently served Tri-Tip Sandwiches to 84 High School Band Kids - serving it sandwich style makes it go further so it decreases the cost. Easier to eat too!

I roasted the meat ahead of time at home and sliced it very thin. Then added some BBQ sauce. I reheated mine in a Roaster Oven at our away event, but you could wrap it in foil and place it on the BBQ to heat - it doesn't have to be hot, just warm is fine. I used deluxe hot dog buns which double as slightly smaller hoagie/steak rolls - another cost saver as they take less meat but still look large. You could always use regular hoagie rolls though. You don't need to heat these, but if you have the space and energy, spread a bit of garlic butter on the rolls and toast them before adding the sliced meat. Yum!

Tri-Tip would be easy to do as is on a BBQ at your camp out too. Bring a instant read thermometer so you know when to pull them, warp in foil and let rest before slicing.

Jeri

o

If it can't be marinated and the scouts are going to do it over the campfire, I'd go with Sirloin. IT happens to be one of my favorites, not fall apart tender but not too tough, and with good flavor.

How much per Scout? Now there's a question. When we took the Girl Scouts camping the leader never planned for enough food, she used the food charts that the government provides. By the time you hiked those girls around all day, 3 ounces of chicken or one slice of pizza just wasn't enough. I used to bring extra snacks, LOL.

First, how old are these boys and what else will they have? Bread, I hope and maybe smores or a dessert later?

Annie

o

In my experience, baked beans are a great side for this type of meal. Inexpensive, filling, and liked by most kids. Can also take center stage for any vegetarians you may have.

Another side idea is Cooler Corn. I have personally done this (for those band kids again) and it works great! I bought a bottle of spray butter to use with the corn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooler Corn

o

Thanks for the responses. The scouts do everything themselves - plan, cook, etc, so I am not in charge of the menu & won't be marinating or anything for them. They planned sides, and probably dessert, I just don't know for sure what they are yet. They are all ages of teenagers. I don't think they want this sandwich style, but I will keep the ideas for myself another time, thanks. Sounds like sirloin since it won't be marinated.

o

I think sirloin would be good too, try and find it as thick as you can, and 8 ounces per serving is adequate.

o

I agree with sirloin, but I'm wondering if you'd be better off buying family packs of more individual-sized cuts. They would be on the thin side, but everyone can cook their own and blame themselves if they don't like it rather than run the risk of ruining a few three pounders in one fell swoop.

o

p.s. I'd be looking to average 6 oz each, allowing some extra for the extra hungry.

o

Thanks for the extra tips - sirloin it is, and I will look for individual size cuts, as apparently I think they are expecting their own steaks. I should check to see if Costco sells them. Thanks again!

o

You can cut big steaks into individual ones and it's easier to find thick large steaks. We had that often growing up.

o

I agree, Bumblebeez, it sometimes difficult to find smaller steaks here, but I can always buy a big piece of sirloin and just cut it into smaller portions. I also agree that 6-8 ounces would be a good serving for a teenaged boy.

Annie

o

Good idea again, thanks - I'll see what I can find!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here