Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Portable Scanner for Recipes

Posted by triciae (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 6, 11 at 7:46

This little gadget is the TSV on the Q.

I've got drawers filled with recipes I've cut from magazines, jotted down on a scrap of paper, etc. that are too time consuming to get typed into my cookbook software.

I like this scanner 'cause it's portable (runs on a couple batteries) but also plugs in so not dependent on batteries. I can sit somewhere comfortable & scan away later transfering them to the computer. It's worth the cost, to me, to get rid of all the pieces of paper!

Obviously, a lot more uses other than recipes but I know I'm not the only one with piles of magazine clippings laying around. :)

/tricia (I got purple!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Scanner - TSV (Tues. 12/06/11 on the Q)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Portable Scanner for Recipes

I assume they sold out since I can't access the page. I tried scanning in some recipes but quit. Too much hassle, takes too much room for the graphics and can't manipulate or copy the recipe to email, post or the like. Great if it works for you but just be sure you're backing it up. It'd be disappointing to spend all that time and effort only to lose it to a dead hard drive.

o

Thanks for passing this along. I usually take a picture with my iphone which syncs to Picasa. (Not perfect, but mostly works.)

o

This is one I saw that looks interesting. It combinds a sheet scanner and a portable wand scanner.
Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Pandigital 2-in-1 Portable Wand & Feed Scanner

o

Does the software come with OCR? If it does, you don't have to re-type the recipes.

dcarch

(Optical Character Reader)

o

I am finding more and more that everything is on the net. I do clip/tear out from magazines etc., but later I'll go find the recipe itself, sometimes from the original source, with a few clicks. Then I can save it as a link, cut/paste to a document, print it out on an 8x11 sheet, etc.

I agree that crashed hard drives can be a problem - that;s what backing up is supposed to avoid. One can also save files in cyberspace, like 'clippings' right here, or via web based applications (I use my gmail, available anywhere)

Sure is a cute gadget, I'm sure there are other uses for it.

o

I haven't gotten one yet, but keep planning to get one of those wands to scan all of the photos that my mom put in those sticky-type photo albums years ago.

o

I use the C6 Click-Free for back-up. It copies all files including photos, music, word documents, recipe software, genealogy, videos, all software, & your operating system all by its little self. I absolutely love it. When we got our new computer a few months ago, it was so easy to transfer everything from Click-Free to the new machine. You can even manage iPods, etc.

I've got the red one 'cause I wasn't fast enough and purple was sold out. :(

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: C6 Click-Free

o

And for recipes when traveling to family and friends! Or family photos at the same time! I want one just for that. It takes up very little space and weighs almost nothing, so it would be great for the motor home.

Tami

o

I have a great free scanning app on my iPhone. I never used it for recipes (usually receipts when I'm traveling for work) but now that you mention it, it work great for that purpose.

o

There are OCR (optical character recognition) apps for the iPhone, and I'm sure for Android smartphones too. I tried one, "Image To Text". Installed it (free), took a picture of the article I was reading, the app emailed it to me in plain text, near-perfect recognition. See below, only two errors I notice. I imagine it will handle recipes too, though you might have to insert line breaks and indents and so on, before it's a fully formatted "recipe".

"TOKYO
Times are getting tougher for some of
Japan's regional power monopolies
KYUSHU and Kansai, Japan's two most
.nuclear-dependent regions, are brac-
ing for a bitter winter. Citizens of both ar-
eas, many of them elderly, have been ad-
vised that they may have to turn down the
heating because of shortages of nuclear
power. It will be another hardship in an al-
ready trying year; after the March nth nuc-
lear disaster they had to swelter through
the summer with restrictions on air condi-
tioning. But this time it is not just tepco,
operator of the stricken nuclear power
plant in Fukushima, that"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here