Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wizardnm - your Banana Bread rocks!

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 3, 10 at 7:37

I had a couple of VERY ripe bananas languishing in the fruit bowl, so I decided Banana *something* was in order. As I perused my online recipe collection, I ran across your Banana Bread recipe. Now I really like the recipe I have used for years from the Fanny Farmer cookbook, but I have to hand it to you - your recipe is even more moist and really is fantastic

Thanks so much for sharing it and I am SO glad I finally tried it!

Alexa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wizardnm - your Banana Bread rocks!

You should never ever praise a recipe without adding a copy of that recipe to your post!!
Now I have to go look and see if I have a copy of that recipe.
Linda C

o

Sorry!!! HEre it is!

BANANA BREAD
Best Recipe Cook's Illustrated
Recipe Introduction
Here's the recipe I used for years at the deli. We made 10 loaves at a time, never had any that didn't sell. We did it with nuts and with out the nuts. Even after making thousands of loaves, I still love banana bread. It's best to use very, very ripe bananas. I draw the line when I see mold. I remember goofing once and adding twice the amount of butter, it was very rich that time, a little over the top.
You can use plain yogurt as the recipe calls for or buttermilk, but we often didn't have either so we very often used whole milk with a teaspoon of vinegar stirred into it. You couldn't tell the difference.
List of Ingredients

2 C unbleached AP flour
¾ C sugar
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 C chopped walnuts (toasted if you have time)
3 very ripe bananas, mashed well
¼ C plain yogurt (buttermilk or sour milk works also as noted above)
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
6 Tabsp butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla
Recipe
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour bread pan.
Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl, stir in walnuts.
In a medium bowl mix together bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter and vanilla.
Add wet ingredients to the dry, mixing gently with a spatula, just to combine, batter should look lumpy. You don't want to over mix. Scrape batter into loaf pan.
Bake about 55 minutes, until loaf is golden and a toothpick comes out almost clean. It can have a crumb or two, but you don't want wet showing on the toothpick.
Cool about 5 min., then turn out of pan to finish cooling on a wire rack.
Makes 1- 9" loaf.
Nancy

o

Thanks for sharing this one. I have never found the perfect BB recipe. I like moist, dense and strong banana flavor. I'll try this one.

o

Alexa, I'm glad you finally tried it. Doubly glad you like it!

Nancy

o

You cannot go wrong with this recipe! It does rock!

o

This is timely as I have 5 VERY ripe nanas and a carton of banana yogurt.

Thanks

o

My 11 year old ds just made this and says it's the best banana bread he has ever eaten. TFS

o

Maybe it is my computer.. but the amounts in the recipe above for the sugar, baking soda, salt are not reading as an actual number measurement, could you please check for me because I would really like to make this bread
thanks!

o

GW doesn't seem to like the coding for fractions any more...

3/4 C sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

L2C6, I hope your DS also enjoyed licking the spatula!
I'm glad the bread turned out.

Nancy

o

Thanks Nancy for fixing the measures for me! I am excited to make this, I love banana bread.

o

Now that this thread has come up again--I remember that I made two loaves and one is still in the freezer--yippee!

o

Wonderful stuff! It's my go-to recipe now. I have some frozen bananas that will be used shortly!

o

It's a good banana bread day - I'm going to assign this to my 12 year old. I'm guessing he'll add chocolate chips, he adds chocolate chips to just about everything he bakes.

Thanks!
AM

o

If you're having trouble seeing the fractions, go to View - Encoding then set it for Unicode UTF8. That takes care of most of the problems. (This is how you change it in Opera, if you have a different browser, just go to where you set the default encoding and set it to Unicode UTF8 and you should be fine)

o

Thanks cynic for that tip! I just made that change in View and the fractions now show up without that A in front of them!

o

Printing now...and off to the kitchen...

o

My kids don't like bananas, can I sub applesauce?

o

You know Jessica, you probably could but....Strain it over night so that it's very thick.

o

Hmmm I can try that, thanks!

o

What's AP flour? Is it a brand? BB Bread sounds wonderful.

o

AP flour is all-purpose flower. Available in all consumer brands.

o

I used a full stick..didn't want to "cut" it. LOL

I took a bite..very buttery very moist..Hubby likes it!

o

I made this tonight & it's over half gone already & the bread is still warm! Guys are raving about it. Thank you for a great recipe.

o

I tried this last night - Delicious!
I've had so many versions of blah, dry banana bread I'd forgotten how a good one could taste. DH had his warm slice topped with a scoop of ice cream.
Thanks for posting. This recipe is a keeper.

o

I have to chime in too! I made this today and agree, it is AWESOME!

Because it's against my nature to actually follow a recipe, I made the following substitutions:

1/2 whole wheat pastry flour
1 c. Splenda and 1/2 C. brown sugar (I made a double recipe, BTW, not doubled the sweetener!!)
5 bananas total
I went with Terri's suggestion and used the whole (8T.) cube of butter. More butter couldn't be bad, right?
And I had some dry roasted pumpkin seeds that "needed using", so I subbed for the walnuts.

Still fantastic!

Thanks Nancy, this one's going in my keeper file!

Deanna

o

I think I'll make some more tomorrow (have to pull some naners from the freezer)...

And sub in the WW Pastry Flour.

I don't use nuts in mine so it's a dense moist bread.

o

Totally Agree!!! This is THE best banana bread ever.
Made it yesterday. Doubled the recipe and baked in a tube pan. Almost like cake but much better than banana cake. Wonderful Stuff.
Thanks so much for posting and sharing.
Murphy

o

This is on my to do list Tuesday, suppose to be a big snow storm and baking sounds like the remedy!

o

I made it and I think it's the best I've ever had. It was gone the day it was made.

o

The only way I can stand to eat bananas is in banana bread. I'll have to copy and paste this recipe and give it a try.

Thanks!

Sally

o

I made this back in December when the recipe surfaced and I froze one loaf. I defrosted it yesterday and made French toast this morning. Talk about rocking!!

o

oooh french toast..what a great idea Cathy!

I made a double batch yesterday and subbed 1/2 WWPastry..just a touch darker loaf..but texture is the same.

o

I evidently have lived a very sheltered life....never ever thought of french toast made with homemade banana bread.....my goodness, just how good can any one thing be???? great great idea!

o

French toast banna bread...oh yum! Definitely making some today while I'm housebound by Mother Nature.

o

I had not thought about French toast with Banana Bread either until I had it years ago at our office cafeteria. I had made friends with the cafeteria manager so I asked about the BB FT that I had just eaten. She said that they went overboard on the BB so she asked the staff to use the extra BB creatively. I told her I hoped it would be a regular item; no such luck so I began making it at home.

I cut the BB thick, soak it in the egg/cream mixture, fry in butter, finish it in the oven.

o

BB FT...great idea. I'm thinking BB FT with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle with hot fudge. Would be a wonderful dessert!

I'll buy bananas on the next grocery store visit.....

Nancy

o

I have to add to the praise. I baked it yesterday and even hubby, the banana bread hater, likes it a lot. Hub is allergic to walnuts, so I subbed with chopped, toasted almonds. And I didn't have any yogurt, so I subbed sour cream. Delicious!!

o

Is that just 1/4 c. yogurt?

o

Wow! The best banana bread recipe I had involved more butter and chocolate chips. I made this one on Tuesday, actually I made muffins, and only baked for 19 minutes with the convection on. They rocked!!! I am so glad to have found a recipe that is lower fat and chocolate content that the family all agrees on. Thank you!!

o

I didn't want to hijack the lemon blueberry thread, so I hope lucypwd sees this one......

bumping!

o

I'm wanting to try this recipe but not sure of the amount of yogurt. Is that 1/4 Cup? TIA

o

Looks like 1/4 cup to me.

o

Yes, it is 1/4 C yogurt. I hope you enjoy it.

Nancy

o

I'm sure we will love it. Thanks!

o

Interesting, the Cooks Illustrated/Americas Test Kitchen recipe that I have calls for 5 ripe large bananas heated in the microwave with the juices formed drained off. Not sure it can be that big a difference.

o

Why drain the juices? Seems like you'd lose a lot of banana flavor. I made this yesterday and it is YUM! I'd consider throwing in another very ripe banana to make it even more moist and dense.

o

The draining of juices and using the reduced juice will give you a more dense "bread" texture and won't be as soft as a bread with whole bananas in it.

We usually make one that has whole bananas no yogurt and one less egg and use chocolate chunks (baking semi sweet).

Walnut quality is important as well - better if toasted with salt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here