Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got Leftover Eggnog??

Posted by ritaweeda (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 7:26

DH always wanted eggnog at the Holidays, and invariably he only had one or two glasses and the rest got thrown out. I got to thinking about it and decided to try it out in bread pudding. Turns out pretty good, it's also good for french toast.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got Leftover Eggnog??

Works for pumpkin pie, too.

o

Add to the list quick breads and oatmeal.

o

Thinking pancakes or waffles.

o

I have had the same problem. I love only one or two glasses. We try to buy the smallest size available. I never thought of using it for pancakes or waffles. Thanks for the ideas.
Mary

o

I'm not a big custard fan, but I can't be left alone in a room with this stuff...

Baked Eggnog Custard

8 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
6 cups eggnog
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat eggs, sugar and salt well. Add eggnog and vanilla. Pour into a 2 1/2 qt bowl or oblong casserole dish. Set in pan and fill pan with 1 inch of hot water (water bath).

Bake 90 minutes (note oblong pan bake time only about 45 minutes). Lay a piece of foil over the bowl after 1 hour to keep from browning too much.

Cool and place in refrigerator.

o

I used to have a recipe for eggnog cookies that had a thin frosting that were a big hit and a good way to use up some left over eggnog. But of course I've misplaced the recipe.

Anyone have a good eggnog cookie recipe to share?

o

I've substituted eggnog for half of the milk when making from scratch butterscotch pudding but that would probably work with any pudding.

o

I make eggnog snickerdoodles, but alas, there is no egg nog in them! I did find this recipe, does it sound familiar?

Soft Frosted Egg Nog Cookies

Yield: about 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients
•2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
•1 teaspoon baking powder
•2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
•1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•1/2 cup white sugar
•3/4 cup brown sugar
•3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
•2 egg yolks
•1/2 cup eggnog
•1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the Frosting:
•1 stick unsalted butter, softened
•3 cups powdered sugar (plus more if needed)
•1/4 cup eggnog (plus more if needed)
•1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
•1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•1/4 teaspoon rum extract (optional)

Instructions
1.Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silpat and set aside.
2.In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and spices- set aside.
3.Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, eggnog and vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy.
4.Gradually add in the dry ingredients until well-combined (don't over-mix.)
5.Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to portion off 1 1/2 inch sized dollops of dough and roll into a ball shape before placing on the cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
6.Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the edges seem set and just slightly golden. Cool completely before frosting.

For Frosting,
7.Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add in the 3 cups of powdered sugar gradually, until mixture is dry and crumbly. Add the egg nog, spices and extract if using. If you want a very stiff frosting that will dry hard, add more powdered sugar if needed. If you want a smoother frosting add a little more egg nog until you reach your desired consistency.

Notes

Recipe adapted from: All Recipes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here